Game 145, Astros at Mariners

marc w · September 10, 2013 at 5:10 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Joe Saunders vs. Jordan Lyles, 7:10pm

Tonight’s game marks Joe Saunders 30th start for the Mariners. It’s also Jordan Lyles’ 4th *against* the Mariners this year. “Enough” is a slippery word, and one person’s excess is another’s aperitif, so I will only speak for myself: I’ve had enough Joe Saunders vs. Jordan Lyles. I’ve had enough Mariners-versus-Astros. Last night’s game had promise, and it lived up to it, if only to spoil it with one of the worst final 2 innings I’ve ever seen. This game doesn’t have that. I found it somewhat disheartening that last night’s game -the great pitching prospect showdown – took the ignominious crown as the least-attended game in Safeco’s history. It’s a gorgeous evening in the Northwest, and a part of me would like to go, just because catching a ballgame is fun. The other, less charitable, part of me really wants tonight’s game to set a new low, and get Taijuan Walker’s name off of something he couldn’t control and did his best to render ironic/stupid.

I don’t know; maybe Abe Almonte will do something cool? Maybe Chance Ruffin will continue his bizarre career turnaround.* Maybe Nick Franklin will get off the schneid and drive a breaking pitch, or something. Maybe Mike Zunino will get it going again. Maybe we’ll all look back at this as one of those bizarre nobody-saw-it-coming good games. There’s a chance, but I – like many who read and write here – am more interested in probabilities.

1: Miller, SS
2: Almonte, CF
3: Seager, 3B
4: Morales, DH
5: Ibanez, LF
6: Gutierrez, RF
7: Smoak, 1B
8: Zunino, C
9: Franklin, 2B
SP: Joe Saunders

* Seriously, a year or two ago, the Actual Jason Grilli turned from journeyman 25th-roster-spot guy to a nuclear-powered closer. This year, Neil Cotts went from minor-leaguer I’d be surprised to see in the PCL to shut-down lefty. Danny Farquhar throws 95 now and, yesterday aside, has been excellent. The reliever spot is just nuts, and if, I don’t know, Shigetoshi Hasegawa came out of retirement throwing 95 and mixing in a devastating 12-6 curve, it might not top the list of reliever career turnarounds. For the year. So I’m kind of surprised at my own reaction to Chance Ruffin’s very brief success in MLB (yes, yes, he had a walk-off loss too) – it’s been basically a 5-minute long spit take. This is simply not the same pitcher he was last year in Tacoma, and that’s basically the theme with relievers. The past is not prologue; for many, it’s completely irrelevant.

Comments

91 Responses to “Game 145, Astros at Mariners”

1. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 5:35 pm

Insert generic complaint about Condor riding the pine here.

2. mrakbaseball on September 10th, 2013 6:09 pm

Lyles is right handed and both Ackley and Saunders sit. Despite of what has been reported, I hope this is the final weeks of Eric Wedge managing Seattle.

3. msfanmike on September 10th, 2013 6:22 pm

They sure are taking Raul’s attempt at setting this very important and very prestigious record, quite seriously.

I remember Carp got the slow play / no play treatment last September. I wonder what’s really going on, here. It shouldn’t be too difficult of a question for someone to ask Wedge. Or, has it already been asked and I missed the response?

4. terryoftacoma on September 10th, 2013 7:07 pm

If 300 is a retirement goal of Raul’s, I hope he hits 2 dingers tonight.

5. msfanmike on September 10th, 2013 7:11 pm

Nice start Joe Saunders … Nice start.

6. pgreyy on September 10th, 2013 7:11 pm

And this game is over.

7. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 7:11 pm

Oh, I hadn’t realized the game had started–well, poop…

8. pgreyy on September 10th, 2013 7:13 pm

Actually, I think I might be the problem. The last few games, the M’s have either been tied or in the lead before I turn on the game…and then, before my eyes, everything goes to hell.

Tonight at dinner, we turned off the US v Mexico soccer game when it was 0-0. Turned it on to find out that the US won 2-0.

Maybe I just have to stop watching the teams that I root for. (Could have helped the Packers on Sunday…)

9. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 7:23 pm

Ouch.

10. Longgeorge1 on September 10th, 2013 7:26 pm

The mark of “significance” that Raul is pursuing is the 300 dingers not some obscure for a 41 year old guy record. Perhaps if he gets the 300 there will be less “pressure” to sign him again for next year . I know I am repeating myself but so is the why is ” fill in the blank” riding the pine crowd. Raul’s 20 year career and the respect he has earned in that career have earned him the right to chase the 300 HR milestone. If you don’t get it I would hate to work for you. Wedge isn’t stupid, I believe that he truly respects Raul’s career. It is a very small minority of players that equal Raul’s accomplishments for a career. Trust me someday we all lose a step, that is no excuse to kick someone out the door. Raul is not embarrassing at the plate yet as Junior was and Junior just picked up his bat and glove and left. Raul I am sure did not expect to play in the field as much as he did. He just did the best he could because of no fault of his own the team was out of options. No one is trying to sell tickets. Just a little human decency. If I offended sorry, just my point of view

11. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 7:32 pm

I’ve got to stop looking away. Every time I look back, Saunders has given up another run.

Whoa, Almonte sorta sucks in the field.

12. pgreyy on September 10th, 2013 7:34 pm

So, it’s established then…

I’m NOT ALLOWED to watch and juneau HAS to watch.

…I can live with that.

(Sorry, juneau…but I think I got the better end of this deal…at least for the rest of this year.)

13. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 7:41 pm

I’m a masochist. I’m here until the end. But my attention does tend to wander and that’s when it all goes wrong.

STOP CALLING MORSE AN OUTFIELDER. It’s making my eyelid twitch uncontrollably!

14. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 7:43 pm

Raul has his own version of crazy legs going on.

15. Longgeorge1 on September 10th, 2013 7:59 pm

Now Safeco Joe is another tale. Let’s try to get Paxton an extra go this year. SJ is embarrassing himself.

16. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 7:59 pm

Every time I look up, another stolen base.

17. Longgeorge1 on September 10th, 2013 8:01 pm

The folks who think stealing a base is not a percentage move ought to watch this game. It works when it works

18. G-Man on September 10th, 2013 8:01 pm

Are they running on Safeco Joe or on Zunino?

19. Longgeorge1 on September 10th, 2013 8:03 pm

JOE

20. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 8:08 pm

…Just utter torment…

21. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 8:08 pm

The M’s are getting Hosed…

22. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 8:11 pm

Those poor kids! Lost in the Little League World Series and now this game to watch!

23. Longgeorge1 on September 10th, 2013 8:14 pm

If you are hosing yourself are you gonna go blind?

24. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 8:16 pm

GASP! Brendan Ryan dealt?? That I did hear!

25. jephdood on September 10th, 2013 8:17 pm

Joe Saunders and Aaron Harang should hang out more.

26. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 8:20 pm

And now Willhelmsen’s in. I sense I’ll be watching something else very soon.

27. Longgeorge1 on September 10th, 2013 8:21 pm

Starting for the Yanks for PTNL maybe we will get Pinada

28. Longgeorge1 on September 10th, 2013 8:21 pm

Starting for the Yanks for PTNL maybe we will get Pinada

29. CAMariner on September 10th, 2013 8:27 pm

That would be funny if we got Pineda back. I don’t think there would be a use for him on the team anymore. The future of the rotation seems pretty set ever since his trade.

30. Longgeorge1 on September 10th, 2013 8:30 pm

Maybe if they take Montero also they won’t owe us anything.

31. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 8:37 pm

We’re not getting anything of value back. You know how these PTBNL trades work – the Yankees gave Jack a list of several low-end players from which he can pick, and he goes some time to decide which one he wants.

But with Jeter back out they are really hurting. Hopefully Brendan can luck into a hot streak.

I’ll miss you, Mr. Buffalo Talker.

32. Longgeorge1 on September 10th, 2013 8:41 pm

I will too. Ryan never dogged it even when he sucked

33. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 8:44 pm

The bloggers all mention that Ryan is ineligible for the post season. I think there’s a way around that with injured players though… we’ll see (assuming the Bombers even make it).

34. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 8:47 pm

The Yankees are some weird Frankenstein of other teams’ cast-offs, old/expensive weight, and the occasional “I thought he was out of the game 5 years ago” players. Ryan will fit right in.

35. Longgeorge1 on September 10th, 2013 8:50 pm

Think you maybe right although you might have needed to be on the 40 man 9/1 Westside BTW the only guy that ever came close too Casey, by semi-well documented legend was the Babe.

36. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 8:58 pm

Seager gets Hosed!

37. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 9:00 pm

Weird. Last couple days, my MLB.com at-bat app doesn’t show the ballpark backgrounds… the batter and pitch tracker are against a white background.

… Wait, apparently it’s just the Safeco background that’s missing – other games show the park.

38. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 9:04 pm

Come on, Smoaky…

That was NOT what I meant, Justin.

39. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 9:06 pm

Your app’s just given up too, Westy. Like the M’s. What was that inning? Ugh.

40. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 9:08 pm

Are the ROOT guys contractually obligated to say “hand operated” whenever they mention the scoreboard?

41. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 9:09 pm

He he Juneau, I wouldn’t be surprised. I know I’VE largely given up. :-D

42. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 9:12 pm

HAH at the booth wondering why Almonte was pulled for Saunders in the outfield. Perhaps because there’s some hope to keep the runs from piling up?

43. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 9:15 pm

These guys talking about when a team should stop putting offensive pressure on the other team… don’t they remember that Cleveland game a few years ago? Heck, look at how many runs the Astros turned around in the last inning yesterday!

44. Slats on September 10th, 2013 9:16 pm

Ryan to New York :(

45. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 9:16 pm

Yeah, give me a damn break with the ‘unspoken rules’ of the game. If the M’s could run, they’d do it too.

Jeez, they’re going to get swept by the Astros, aren’t they?

46. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 9:16 pm

Argh.

And I was so excited about Carter Capps at the beginning of this season!

47. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 9:17 pm

You’re late to the party/wake, Slats.

48. Eastside Suds on September 10th, 2013 9:19 pm

Just got home from volleyball game, quickly turned on the game to see this????? I am looking for a brown bag to put over my head.

49. jephdood on September 10th, 2013 9:22 pm

What’s the attendance? Yet another well-deserved record low? Or was it M’s logo cheese grater night and that squeaked them past 10k?

50. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 9:23 pm

I do hope Ryan gets to play regularly in New York.

But the Miller promotion has certainly worked out… he’s the one young guy who’s made a compelling case that he’s 100% ready for the majors – I can’t imagine anyone arguing otherwise.

But it certainly was a privilege we got to watch Brendan Ryan play shortstop.

51. Slats on September 10th, 2013 9:24 pm

Yes I am juneau.

52. Slats on September 10th, 2013 9:24 pm

So Ryan & Ichiro reunited!

53. Slats on September 10th, 2013 9:25 pm

Attendance tonight: 10,245

54. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 9:25 pm

Haha, Mr. TV Producer was obviously reading jephdood’s comment. :-)

Thank you sir!

55. Eastside Suds on September 10th, 2013 9:27 pm

Best part of the booth is hearing the few fans that are there yelling at the Astro players. Hilarious!!!

56. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 9:27 pm

There’s so few people there that the random Crazy Screaming Guy can be clearly heard raining abuse down again.

57. Eastside Suds on September 10th, 2013 9:28 pm

LOL….juneau heard the same thing. Or are they yelling obscenities at their Mariners?

58. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 9:30 pm

He was really scary in last night’s game. Even Sims started to sound nervous about it. Last night, I think it was toward the Astros. Tonight, maybe not…

59. Eastside Suds on September 10th, 2013 9:34 pm

Yeah, he was REALLY loud last night and was getting pretty personal. At least we have this guy. Not much else in the way of entertainment watching the team now.

60. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 9:40 pm

Raul should go up into the stands and kick the dude’s butt.

61. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 9:42 pm

LOL, Westy. That I’d pay to see.

Whoa, bases loaded? I really need to look at the game more often.

62. Longgeorge1 on September 10th, 2013 9:44 pm

Well I’m outside under the stars on a beautiful night on the spread outside of Maytown somewhere near heaven. Got Neil Young blazing and I’m just a little high. TV OFF Radio off,the only light is my laptop on the pick-ups hood. Just rock and rolling and I’m laughing my ass off at the coments here- thanx

63. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 9:45 pm

I LOOKED AWAY

…and nuthin…

64. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 9:45 pm

Sounds like the best way to enjoy this particular game, Longgeorge1!

Man, Kendrys has sure cooled down during the second half…

65. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 9:54 pm

Man, remember when the Mariners bullpen was one of the few quality parts of the team? When Jeff and Matthew would talk about the “pile of pitchers” over on Lookout Landing?

What happened?

66. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 9:55 pm

Poor guy looks like he’s really in pain…

67. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 9:57 pm

The humanity…

68. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 9:58 pm

Considering there seems to be a former M’s bullpen coming out of every other team’s bullpen when I’m watching games, I’m going to say we traded them away for a pile of the goo behind my ears.

69. msfanmike on September 10th, 2013 10:04 pm

This is the improved version of Chance Ruffin. Awesome.

70. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 10:04 pm

You might want to consult a doctor about that, Juneau.

71. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 10:05 pm

Damn, I looked away again! Another run!!

72. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 10:05 pm

Only if the Mariners’ will consult a specialist about their issues.

73. Longgeorge1 on September 10th, 2013 10:08 pm

“In the fire of love our dreams went up in smoke” Thanx to Neil

74. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 10:12 pm

Oh god, they’re on about the signs stealing again. This team has so much more to worry about than that.

They wish the majority of the pitchers had good enough stuff to need to steal the signs.

75. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 10:15 pm

Val’s story about location stealing from last night was kind of interesting.

But yeah – our pitchers need to improve quite a bit before sign stealing could even be a significant issue.

76. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 10:19 pm

This is never going to end, is it…

77. Eastside Suds on September 10th, 2013 10:20 pm

I’m sending the doctor bill to the M’s FO. I need therapy after watching them this month!

78. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 10:21 pm

The Astros are kicking the Mariners’ collective butts.

79. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 10:21 pm

All right then. This has been REALLY fun, but…

80. Eastside Suds on September 10th, 2013 10:22 pm

I would almost rather watch Miley Cyrus. Well….maybe not :)

81. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 10:22 pm

No wonder Wilson and Blowers are talking about other things – it’s less painful than talking about this game.

82. Eastside Suds on September 10th, 2013 10:23 pm

They should show this game to detainees in Gitmo. They’d spill their guts rather than be subjected to this cruel and unusual punishment.

83. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 10:24 pm

The Deranged Yelling Man screams something incomprehensible…

84. Eastside Suds on September 10th, 2013 10:24 pm

You could tell they wanted this game to be over about 4 innings ago. Not much to say unless you didn’t mind getting fired.

85. mrakbaseball on September 10th, 2013 10:25 pm

They need a mercy rule. No more punishment.

86. Eastside Suds on September 10th, 2013 10:26 pm

Yeah. For us. This should be against the Geneva Convention.

87. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 10:26 pm

They should start prank calling guys from the booth.

Call Joe Morgan – pretend to be Pete Rose!

88. juneau_fan on September 10th, 2013 10:33 pm

Having mercy on myself and not watching the team go quietly in the bottom of the 9th. Putting in the pilot of The X-files, which premiered 20 years ago today (still the 10th in Alaska). Changed TV drama,and thus much more worthy of my evening than this game.

89. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 10:35 pm

WOO HOO!! It’s over!!!

90. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 10:38 pm

If I never see Joe Saunders pitch again, it’ll be too soon.

91. Westside guy on September 10th, 2013 10:43 pm

145 games, 80 losses.

It’s hard to see how they’re going to avoid losing 90.