Game 5, Attempt 2: Mariners at Swamp Things

marc w · April 5, 2014 at 11:40 am · Filed Under Mariners

King Felix vs. DAN STRAILY. SERIOUSLY. 1:05pm

I swear, one of these times I write that the M’s are facing Dan Straily today, it’ll actually happen. But enough of that: Happy Felix Day!

The A’s left the tarp off their field, the skies opened, and the infield was the consistency of cottage cheese, hence the rain-out of a game in which it wasn’t actually raining. The field was in such a sorry state that it’s not certain that the M’s and A’s will get THIS game in, and it was the deciding factor in playing only one game today instead of trying to get a double-header in. On the upside, the M’s can go back to Felix Hernandez on regular rest and push Chris Young to the long-relief role that had been filled by that guy who came over in a trade or whatever…can’t think of his name.

Line-up:

1: Almonte, CF
2: Miller, SS
3: Cano, 2B
4: Smoak, 1B
5: Hart, DH
6: Seager, 3B
7: Morrison, RF
8: Ackley, LF
9: Zunino, C
SP: King Felix

I went to the Rainiers opening day double-header last night. They won their opener in grand style, with Blake Beavan going all the way (that’s 7IP), giving up 1 run and striking out 6. The bigger story was the offense, which annihilated Albuquerque’s pitchers, especially starter Stephen Fife. The Isotopes won game 2, despite HRs from Cole Gillespie and Nick Franklin. Those two looked very good; one of Franklin’s few outs on the day was a deep drive caught against the wall in left.

The games were interesting for two reasons. The opener brought back memories of the big three way trade from a few years ago when the M’s sent Erik Bedard to Boston. Trayvon Robinson, who came to the M’s in that deal, led off for the Isotopes. Their battery, Fife and C Tim Federowicz, were the pieces moving from Boston to the Dodgers in that deal. All we needed was Josh Fields, but though he had the most uncertain future at the time, he’s in the big leagues. Where have you gone, Chih-Hsien Chang? The second game featured Miguel Olivo behind the plate and Carlos Triunfel in the infield. All watched over by former M’s scout Hide Sueyoshi, who is also now with the Dodgers (along with Bob Engle).

Taijuan Walker’s rehab start in High Desert went quite well. After a so-so first inning, he settled in, and finished with a line of 4 1/3 IP, 4H, 1R, 1BB, 7Ks. DJ Peterson hit his first High-A HR.

Comments

93 Responses to “Game 5, Attempt 2: Mariners at Swamp Things”

1. Celadus on April 5th, 2014 12:06 pm

I wonder what the rules are for forfeits in cases like this.

I don’t really think it was a ruse, but this tarp-out, even two, works to the advantage of the A’s. Double header just before the first game of this series, 12 inning game before last night’s tarp-out.

A’s bullpen was basically toast going into last night’s game, M’s not so much because the bullpen wasn’t overused during the first series.

Now if the M’s experience raw sewage in their locker room before today’s game . . .

2. Westside guy on April 5th, 2014 12:50 pm

Morrison in Right Field doesn’t look any better in bright daylight than it did under the lights.

3. bhsmarine on April 5th, 2014 1:02 pm

I haven’t participated in a game thread in years(guessing 2009?) but this team and Felix in Oakland seems like the perfect time.

LoMo better get that bat going or he will be the next victim of McClendon’s short leash.

4. smb on April 5th, 2014 1:05 pm

Happy Felix Day, y’all.

Hopefully the Sounders will finish off the hated Timbers around the 3rd or 4th innings so I can switch over for good and watch Felix finish his start.

5. bhsmarine on April 5th, 2014 1:19 pm

Two K’s! On pace for an easy 18K 99 pitch CG.

6. tame on April 5th, 2014 1:32 pm

Life doesn’t get better. Lazy Sunday in Aotearoa /New Zealand, breakfast of huevos ranchos in bed, watching King Felix

7. californiamariner on April 5th, 2014 1:33 pm

Felix is money so far today.

8. Westside guy on April 5th, 2014 1:40 pm

Mac doesn’t decide who’s on the roster any more than Wedge or Wak did – and a handful of games is not really a large enough sample to make decisions on. One would hope Mac understands that.

9. marc w on April 5th, 2014 1:42 pm

This is as sharp as I’ve seen Felix early on. Sometimes (like the perfecto) he started ok, and got better. He’s been flawless from the first pitch today.

10. bhsmarine on April 5th, 2014 1:42 pm

Straily looks like he should be very hittable. Not a ton of movement, average velocity, and delivery seems average too.

Where are the M’s that played in Anaheim?

11. bhsmarine on April 5th, 2014 1:49 pm

Felix!

12. Sea-Dog on April 5th, 2014 2:06 pm

Ugh. Felix has “that look” today and our defense is just letting it go.

13. lalo on April 5th, 2014 2:07 pm

I miss Kendrys Morales… Hart has been terrible since the first day of Spring Training

14. californiamariner on April 5th, 2014 2:08 pm

There’s Kyle Seager!

15. juneau_fan on April 5th, 2014 2:09 pm

And there’s Morrison.

16. G-Man on April 5th, 2014 2:10 pm

How’s Morrison been? What should we expect of him?

17. MrZDevotee on April 5th, 2014 2:11 pm

“Where are the M’s that played in Anaheim?”

I think they’re still recovering from all the swinging and running against the Angels. These M’s haven’t experienced that much exercise in awhile.

18. G-Man on April 5th, 2014 2:11 pm

Ack!

19. tame on April 5th, 2014 2:12 pm

Sometimes Ackley’s swing looks so great

20. bhsmarine on April 5th, 2014 2:12 pm

ACKLEY!!!! Hope that is all Felix needs.

21. MacGumaraid on April 5th, 2014 2:13 pm

Ho-ho-ho! Merry Christmas, Dustin Ackley!

22. californiamariner on April 5th, 2014 2:13 pm

Ackley!!!

23. juneau_fan on April 5th, 2014 2:13 pm

Sweet.

24. G-Man on April 5th, 2014 2:13 pm

“Where are the M’s that played in Anaheim?”

Here and here!

25. Section329 on April 5th, 2014 2:13 pm

Wahoo!

26. californiamariner on April 5th, 2014 2:14 pm

And Almonte!!!!

27. pgreyy on April 5th, 2014 2:14 pm

Ahhhhhh…batting practice!

28. Eastside Suds on April 5th, 2014 2:14 pm

Loves me some Abraham. Here come the M’s!

29. bhsmarine on April 5th, 2014 2:15 pm

We see your popup sun aided double and raise you two bombs!

30. Eastside Suds on April 5th, 2014 2:17 pm

It may have looked like batting practice early, but Strailey was hitting his spots and don’t forget perceived velocity if the hitters aren’t picking up the pitch early. A lot of pop ups today. But….M’s have adjusted and Felix is being Felix.

31. californiamariner on April 5th, 2014 2:17 pm

You can only hold a juggernaut offense like this down for so long

32. Eastside Suds on April 5th, 2014 2:20 pm

Cali….LOL

33. Eastside Suds on April 5th, 2014 2:22 pm

The King is especially nasty today. I think better than his debut! And that FB isn’t caught last year.

34. bhsmarine on April 5th, 2014 2:24 pm

Felix might be switching to contact mode for the CG since he has the lead. Only 57 pitches through 5. Even contact Felix is fun to watch.

35. MrZDevotee on April 5th, 2014 2:25 pm

I have to say, I’m warming up to Almonte… He’s not Guty out there, but I think he makes a better centerfielder than Ackley or Saunders. The two of them are sort of stretched to their limit of ability in center, while seem to fit the corner spots much better.

Almonte seems to make good breaks on the ball, even if it’s a little, er, interesting once he gets there. He gets there, which is the important part. He had an easier time getting to that one than Ackley, and Ackley was closer to it off the bat.

36. Eastside Suds on April 5th, 2014 2:27 pm

Almonte has that thing the others don’t have. Blazing speed. It can’t be taught. He will just get better with time, like a good bottle of wine.

37. smb on April 5th, 2014 2:27 pm

Nice, Sounders pull a tie out of their asses, I switch over and we’re up 3-0!

Three runs for Felix? Maybe we are finally starting to turn the corner…I have a pretty good feeling about the direction of the team, at last.

38. bhsmarine on April 5th, 2014 2:30 pm

LoMo can’t layoff the high ones, did we get him from the Rockford Peaches?

39. G-Man on April 5th, 2014 2:32 pm

Have they rescheduled the rainout last night, or mentioned it?

40. G-Man on April 5th, 2014 2:34 pm

Felix: “Man on third, one out? No problem.” K’s him!

41. bhsmarine on April 5th, 2014 2:34 pm

G-Man – They are thinking a doubleheader during the early May series. No official date that I have seen.

42. Eastside Suds on April 5th, 2014 2:36 pm

Don’t you be staring at the King! He will make you look feeble, son.

43. Westside guy on April 5th, 2014 2:40 pm

I disagree, MrZ. I think Almonte takes bad routes off the bat, but is often able to recover with his speed.

Hard line drives can make him look silly though, like we saw in the last game.

I really wish we had an actual center fielder.

44. Woodcutta on April 5th, 2014 2:43 pm

Westside- To be fair, hard line drives hit right at you are the hardest to read. He just needs more time in center to learn those better routes and get a better read on those line drives that just seem to stay in air longer than they should.

45. MacGumaraid on April 5th, 2014 2:43 pm

What an at-bat from Zunino…

46. Eastside Suds on April 5th, 2014 2:45 pm

He wii work into it I believe, Westy. He certainly has the tools, which the others do not. Takes time to learn the finer points of when to dive or figure 4 a ball and when to just let it fall. Reading line drives is tough, or else everyone could do it. Barring a pickup of a defensive CF via trade, he will have to carry the load and get better through OJT.

47. Eastside Suds on April 5th, 2014 2:50 pm

Wow. The King is on today! Only 80 pitches through seven. Outstanding!

48. MrZDevotee on April 5th, 2014 2:53 pm

Westy-
    I don’t like his routes either (the “interesting” part of my observation) but he gets a good jump on the ball, ie gets up to speed and after it, faster than Ackley and Saunders, who tend to do the gaze, linger, and then wonder where they need to run method– THEN get after it…

And remember, you missed Ackley’s bad route the other day that turned a pretty easy out into a double. Made Almonte look like a route-running genius.

49. Westside guy on April 5th, 2014 2:59 pm

Believe me, MrZ – I never want to see Ackley in center field ever again! I prefer Abe in center, given the roster we have.

But I do think he’s benefitting from the 2013 “Franklin Effect”. :-) when Nick first came up, hit hit the cover off the ball – and people swore he was a defensive gem. Then, when he stopped hitting, suddenly people started noticing the defensive deficiencies.

We’ve been starved for offense for so long, when one of our boys is hitting… I think we start seeing through the eyes of Gold Glove voters.

50. Eastside Suds on April 5th, 2014 3:03 pm

Agreed Westy. Gutierrez was the most recent true Cf. Before that it was Cameron, then The Kid. Can’t name another true CF we’ve had in that string. (And no I won’t mention the name of the one we foolishly traded away that would still be there).

51. bhsmarine on April 5th, 2014 3:05 pm

I do like the Saunders late inning defensive switch that is happening every game.

52. juneau_fan on April 5th, 2014 3:05 pm

I can’t visualize that catch by Smoak. That’s when radio is a fail.

53. dc24 on April 5th, 2014 3:05 pm

I have to give McClendon credit because he’s subbed Saunders in every game so far for defense in the late innings. I like that. Wedge would leave Ibanez in LF during close games sometimes and it drove me nuts.

54. Westside guy on April 5th, 2014 3:05 pm

Those three WERE all pretty special though, Eastside!

55. Eastside Suds on April 5th, 2014 3:06 pm

Dc24……but Dingers!

56. juneau_fan on April 5th, 2014 3:07 pm

Wow, Saunders’ sub at the right time…Unless Melvin can get a replay.

57. Westside guy on April 5th, 2014 3:07 pm

I wonder if something is going on with Saunders? Seems odd he hasn’t started at all after game one.

58. Eastside Suds on April 5th, 2014 3:08 pm

Possible replay request coming up

59. dr3wman on April 5th, 2014 3:09 pm

I am not sure how I feel about the expanded replay so far. Games are long enough as it is.

60. smb on April 5th, 2014 3:09 pm

Great snag by the Condor there. Loving this. Really looked like he caught it to me.

61. Woodcutta on April 5th, 2014 3:10 pm

Who ever said Franklin was a good defensive player? I don’t recall that and if I remember correctly he actually got worse defensively when he stopped hitting.

I’m not equating Almonte’s offense with his defense. He obviously hasn’t played a ton of CF or he would be taking better routes. That is something that comes with time at the position. There is no real way to practice that part of the position b/c the way the ball is hit in the game is different every time.

Let’s put it this way. If I can learn to make the right reads and take the right routes then Almonte can.

62. californiamariner on April 5th, 2014 3:10 pm

Luckily Saunders was out there (like he should be).

Really don’t get why Saunders isn’t getting starts.

63. Westside guy on April 5th, 2014 3:12 pm

Woodcutta, you’d have to read some of those game threads from last year. I remember getting into arguments over Franklin’s defense.

64. Eastside Suds on April 5th, 2014 3:15 pm

Westy….I would get a chuckle ever time Sims would comment on Ackley’s “blazing” speed last season. The only way he has “blazing” speed is in contrast to last year’s Tree Sloths. He has some quick’s, but by no means is he Almonte fast.

65. Eastside Suds on April 5th, 2014 3:17 pm

You got this Felix!

66. californiamariner on April 5th, 2014 3:17 pm

Yeah, I remember people arguing over Franklin’s defense. It’s a lot easier to like a player when he’s hitting.

I just wish Saunders was playing over Morrison. This team doesn’t have a very experienced outfield but at least the guys are athletic (besides Morrison). That’s a big upgrade over years past. Hopefully, as they get experience they’ll become better at tracking balls and taking the right routes.

It’s probably easy though to think these guys are good after watching the outfields for the last couple years.

67. Westside guy on April 5th, 2014 3:17 pm

Hehe, yeah Sims did seem to like that term with regard to Ackley!

68. juneau_fan on April 5th, 2014 3:18 pm

*tsk tsk*

Should have sent Rodney in, CG be damned.

69. djw on April 5th, 2014 3:18 pm

Jeebus. I would have sent him back out, too, but I hope like hell there’s someone warming up. Cespedes in this situation scares the hell out of me.

70. californiamariner on April 5th, 2014 3:19 pm

Oh come on, please don’t blow this

71. Westside guy on April 5th, 2014 3:19 pm

COME ON FELIX!!!

72. smb on April 5th, 2014 3:19 pm

Ahhh fudge.

Come on. Come on Felix.

73. juneau_fan on April 5th, 2014 3:20 pm

Please god, pull him. I can’t take another extra innings game.

74. Eastside Suds on April 5th, 2014 3:20 pm

Change up down and away now

75. Eastside Suds on April 5th, 2014 3:22 pm

Great outing by the King against the Favorites. Well done!

76. californiamariner on April 5th, 2014 3:22 pm

Oh my goodness that foul ball

77. Section329 on April 5th, 2014 3:23 pm

Praise the King and hold onto your crooked hat, Rodney.

78. Westside guy on April 5th, 2014 3:25 pm

Don’t we have a lefty who could face Jaso?

79. MrZDevotee on April 5th, 2014 3:29 pm

That Rodney changeup is nuts, 81 MPH after 95 MPH… Deadly. Made Reddick look silly.

80. Eastside Suds on April 5th, 2014 3:29 pm

Rodney is great and all, but my fingernails are in trouble every time he enters.

81. Eastside Suds on April 5th, 2014 3:30 pm

Wooooo hooooooo

82. Westside guy on April 5th, 2014 3:30 pm

Whew!

83. Section329 on April 5th, 2014 3:30 pm

Whew. Go m’s

84. smb on April 5th, 2014 3:31 pm

When was the last time Felix started the year 2-0 through two starts? Has that ever happened?

85. californiamariner on April 5th, 2014 3:31 pm

Woo! Pulled it off. 4-1 is fun!

86. smb on April 5th, 2014 3:33 pm

Yeah the changeup is very solid. Nine mph is actually the ideal difference between a FB and change for crossing guys up, but if you have a guy like Reddick up there with two strikes, he barely stands a chance if you can find a corner.

87. dc24 on April 5th, 2014 3:34 pm

Good win. Glad Rodney saved it without much harm. He makes me nervous too and will every time he’s in.

88. HighlightsAt11 on April 5th, 2014 3:37 pm

Rodney finally gets a SVO and gets the SV striking out the only two batters he faces. Nice start as Mariner. Way to go King Felix and thank you Ackley and Almonte for the two solo HR’s. All while playing on seafoam fill from the Oakland sewage plant. Time to move to San Jose. Too bad Portland can’t support a MLB team, yet even a AAA team.

89. absolutsyd on April 5th, 2014 3:44 pm

@smb Looks like Felix started 2-0 in his first two starts way back in 2007. Had 18 Ks in 17 scoreless innings in those two games. Damn! No wonder we loved this guy from the very start!

90. MrZDevotee on April 5th, 2014 3:56 pm

Usually 5 games into the season, we’re starting to make excuses about why we’re not out of it yet. *laugh*

This year, we have the argument that except for a blown strike 3 call last game, we’d be 5-0 right now.

Erasmo tomorrow, let’s come home 5-1.

91. smb on April 5th, 2014 4:37 pm

Yeah, plus the rotation is looking like a major strength. Who would have thought that even three weeks ago?

92. Eastside Suds on April 5th, 2014 5:08 pm

I have to admit that I really like the four man rotation!

93. nvn8vbryce on April 5th, 2014 5:37 pm

I’m liking the accountability from the team thus far, especially after the reliever not to be named got his walking papers to Hannibal, MO…