Game 17, Mariners at Marlins

marc w · April 19, 2014 at 11:46 am · Filed Under Mariners

Roenis Elias vs. Henderson Alvarez, 4:10pm

I honestly don’t know what to say about the fact that its up to Elias to stop a Mariner losing streak. Uh, go get ‘em kid. Watch out for Stanton. That slow curve? Keep it far away from the spot Medina placed his slider.

The plus side isn’t just that Elias is a fly baller in a park that’s hard for non-Stantons to homer in- the plus is that the M’s are facing Henderson Alvarez. I kept trying to think of who Hector Noesi reminded me of – who else threw a swerving 94mph sinker with a breaking ball that didn’t look obviously bad and posted terrible results? Henderson Alvarez, of course! While with the Blue Jays, Alvarez managed the near impossible trifecta of early-80s, sub-Beavan K rates, ground balls AND an awful HR rate. He faced the M’s 3 times, giving up 3 HRs in 18 IP, with 8 free passes given up against just 6 Ks. Because these facts pertain to the M’s of 2011-12, I should note that he went 2-0, but still – bad numbers.

Then, pretty much immediately after joining the Marlins, he turned into a decent, sometimes better, but clearly not terrible starter. The K rate improved, as it would when you suddenly get to face pitchers. But the big change was the HR rate. He gave up just 2 HRs last year Ina bit over 100 IP, a year after yielding 29. He’s still never given up a HR in Marlins park. He’s not exactly good, and lefties still have a distinct advantage against him, but he limited the damage they could do. The BABIP gods may not be as kind to him this year, but he looks like an ok back of the rotation starter, and he just turned 24 yesterday.

I mention this because it’s clear to me that this will play out for Noesi too. He’s not going to win any Cy Youngs, but someone – maybe Texas, maybe his next stop- is going to make a tiny adjustment to his mechanics or grip and Noesi will turn into an innings eater who gives up few HRs. It’s easier if you prepare yourself ahead of time and react intellectually, perhaps musing on the nature of coaching, or of maturity.

1: Almonte, CF
2: Miller, SS
3: Cano, 2B
4: Smoak, 1B
5: Saunders, RF
6: Seager, 3B
7: Ackley, LF
8: Zunino, C
9: Elias, SP

I don’t believe Elias has ever batted professionally.

Jordan Pries, who’s been on a tear to start the year in AA, starts for Jackson. Dutchman Lars Huijer starts for Clinton.

Comments

57 Responses to “Game 17, Mariners at Marlins”

1. Westside guy on April 19th, 2014 12:23 pm

Wow, two starts in a row for Saunders – Mac must be out of DHs.

Snark aside, given the roster I can’t complain too much about this lineup.

2. Greeff on April 19th, 2014 1:22 pm

Jordan Pries was called up to Tacoma, Moises Hernandez starts for Jackson.

3. Longgeorge1 on April 19th, 2014 2:54 pm

Got to admit I bailed yesterday ( caught a couple trout at Offut Lake) and spared myself another walk-off and catch fiasco. As much as I am in the camp that some of the catches around second were as phantom as the foot at least touching the bag somewhere on the play, what is going on now is a joke. The real problem for me is that this team just needs to grow a pair. The game they blew in Texas was just to much, but let’s face it last night they only could say they got one out, they didn’t get ripped off. I don’t know whether kickin’ ass or gentle love is the answer but soon the manager’s leadership skills and standards will be called into question – AGAIN – and folks that ain’t the problem. Consistent failure to execute plays that need to be made and aren’t. Pitches that have to be better and at bats that need to more consistently produce are really problems that have been the hallmark of this franchise for far to long. I think some guys need to be released, not to Tacoma, I mean gone. A shake-up is in order. This is not SSS, this is years of futility

4. hidalgo on April 19th, 2014 3:45 pm

Interestingly, we’re not twenty games into the season and the AL West standings are back to where we ended last year.

5. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 4:00 pm

Regression to the mean.

6. Westside guy on April 19th, 2014 4:23 pm

Come ON Elias…

7. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 4:30 pm

Two walks and a balk in the first inning for Elias and no runs for the Marlins? Neither of these teams is good.

8. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 4:36 pm

Baker .103 BA. How is that possible?

9. Longgeorge1 on April 19th, 2014 4:36 pm

See where the A’s scored 3 in the bottom of the ninth to beat the Astros this afternoon. Winners win and losers lose. Must be that big Oakland budget

10. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 4:39 pm

Elias is all over the place. WTF.

Is that his pitching strategy or lack of control?

11. naviomelo on April 19th, 2014 4:44 pm

Any word on why Pries got promoted to Tacoma? His grand total of 12 IP in AA weren’t *that* good.

12. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 4:48 pm

Elias making Alvarez pitch. More than any other Mariner has done.

13. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 4:52 pm

Pries is available to pitch (4/14 last start)

14. Westside guy on April 19th, 2014 4:54 pm

Every time I start to warm up to Almonte, he does something silly out there.

Both he and Ackley seem to have occasional problems just holding onto the ball.

15. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 5:07 pm

Both needed a full season (or add’l season) playing OF in AAA. I’m awaiting to see more of Jones. The last Jones the Ms featured in the OF was pretty good. What ever happened to him?

16. californiamariner on April 19th, 2014 5:08 pm

Pretty much over this team already. Sigh

17. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 5:08 pm

Cano is catching the Mariner disease.

18. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 5:11 pm

Hey why the sorry faces. It’s a 1-0 game on the road. That’s more success that we’ll likely see relative to the remainder of the season yet to come. So celebrate now before it’s too late.

19. Westside guy on April 19th, 2014 5:18 pm

Oh Mikey, how come you’re not perfect?

20. californiamariner on April 19th, 2014 5:18 pm

How does Zunino drop a fastball?

21. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 5:19 pm

PB with bases loaded, you have to be kidding.

22. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 5:21 pm

IW Ozuna and let Stanton hit for a GS would have been a better idea.

23. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 5:24 pm

Smoak looks better at the plate when striking out versus hitting a ground ball for an out.

24. Westside guy on April 19th, 2014 5:24 pm

I do NOT want to see another perfect game thrown against the Mariners by a mediocre pitcher. So STOP IT.

25. californiamariner on April 19th, 2014 5:25 pm

Is Henderson Alvarez really doing this?

26. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2014 5:26 pm

“the plus is that the M’s are facing Henderson Alvarez…”

All Marc’s fault… Marc, you owe us a beer. All of us. Nice beer too, not any Schmidt/Lucky/Rainier stuff…

27. Westside guy on April 19th, 2014 5:33 pm

Yeah – way to go Ackley!!

28. absolutsyd on April 19th, 2014 5:33 pm

Dear announcers, thank you for jinxing the perfecto!!!

29. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 5:34 pm

So the Almonte error doesn’t spoil a perfect game?

(update: besides that Ackley hit)

30. Westside guy on April 19th, 2014 5:38 pm

Almonte’s on our team – it’s only what the Marlins did on defense that would matter.

Fortunately it’s now an academic question!

31. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 5:38 pm

How about a beer from Milwaukee, where the Brewers are at top of their division.

32. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 5:41 pm

Westside…duh… don’t know what I was thinking. Watching this M team play the last two weeks has dropped my IQ into negative territory.

33. californiamariner on April 19th, 2014 5:44 pm

Just googled the upcoming free agency class. In April. Ha. Pretty sad. The hitters look pretty pathetic.

34. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 5:44 pm

Felix could have padded his stats against the Marlins. Will need to wait for the Astros. But bullpen forecast is another BS blown save.

35. californiamariner on April 19th, 2014 5:50 pm

Welp Mariners, I’ll see you tomorrow! (maybe Monday)

36. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2014 5:50 pm

To quote my wife-

“It doesn’t feel different than last year anymore… (angry tone growing) It feels EXACTLY THE SAME…”

37. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 5:52 pm

Did McClendon leave Elias in so he could throw his arm out? Not having a reliable bullpen sucks.

38. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 5:53 pm

No Z…it feels worse. Because of the first week of the season tease.

39. Longgeorge1 on April 19th, 2014 5:56 pm

So Elias comes within getting the pitcher out for a six inning 2 run performance. Instead he Mariners it. Whipped around by a $47M team. Can’t wait for Houston. What do they pay, $43M? Not only are we bad we still manage to be a bunch of chokers

40. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 6:03 pm

LGeorge… Who is “we”?

41. Longgeorge1 on April 19th, 2014 6:09 pm

Semantics – Highlights – The M’s are bad and still manage to be a bunch of chokers. Feel better?

42. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 6:12 pm

Hey, the brighter side of northwest baseball…

Four of top 6 Pac-12 baseball teams are northwest schools.

And Oregon is number one in the nation in softball.

And Portland is trying to get a MLB team and a new stadium built.

43. Westside guy on April 19th, 2014 6:19 pm

It’s interesting how, on the MLB.tv feed, when they do cutaways with Brad Adams they are shown… but not the ones with Angie Mentink. For those, you just get camera shots of the field with no talking or anything.

44. Longgeorge1 on April 19th, 2014 6:28 pm

That is more interesting than this team

45. Westside guy on April 19th, 2014 6:30 pm

That was fugly.

46. greentunic on April 19th, 2014 6:31 pm

Highlights

That was either pretty smartass and kinda unoriginal, or you may not have been around many sports fans. Some fans feel like they are a part of the team and in a way they are. They (and sometimes I) say “we” to establish a sense of ownership with a teams success and failure. That is, after all, the purpose of fanhood.

47. Westside guy on April 19th, 2014 6:32 pm

All right – it’s up to Brandon Maurer to be the stopper!

Wait, what am I saying?

48. hidalgo on April 19th, 2014 6:40 pm

Chalk up another loss to Mac’s ineptness. Roenis gave up four runs after 100 pitches. And getting shutout three times in a week and the top of the order stays the same. Mac’s got the Jack Z disease.

49. sawsatch on April 19th, 2014 6:44 pm

In the past 4 years, in how many total innings have the Mariners failed to score? I would venture to guess they are leading the Majors in that category.

50. HighlightsAt11 on April 19th, 2014 7:40 pm

@Green. Certainly not intended to be a smartass remark. As a fan if you and other fans prefer to be included in the rhetorical “we” group which was labeled “as a bunch of chokers”, of course that is your prerogative. But I don’t see that is a preference accepted by all Mariner fans, including myself. And I’ve been a M fan for more seasons than I wish to count. So I will agree I am a choker when it comes to choosing the teams I’ve somehow decided to root for, when it comes to major league baseball. But even all my Giant fan friends, don’t call me a choker. They are smart.

51. sawsatch on April 19th, 2014 8:43 pm

Bad owners, GM that fields a team weak up the middle, little speed and total lack of player development. Name me one all- star position player that has come through the system.
    What can you expect?
    For his sake, I hope Zunino can get to another team.

52. hidalgo on April 19th, 2014 9:01 pm

Adam Jones for one.

53. sawsatch on April 19th, 2014 9:05 pm

Probably wouldn’t be had he stayed a Mariner. He was lucky enough to get out, I hope the same for Zunino.

54. Westside guy on April 19th, 2014 11:09 pm

Zunino’s O-swing% is currently at 50%!

55. The_Waco_Kid on April 20th, 2014 1:24 am

Is anyone else thinking, “Seriously? Still?” I feel like, by now, we’re entitled to at least mediocrity by sheer luck. Even making decisions at random, you should be able to win 80 games once every 5 years. Right?

56. jak924 on April 20th, 2014 7:13 am

OK, nice season, Mariners. Let’s get ready for some FOOTBALL!

57. frazfan on April 20th, 2014 6:48 pm

I’m just wondering if anyone on this team knows how to take a walk. Today (Sunday) Saunders struck out, but did anyone notice the difference between his at bat and Franklin? Does anyone have access to a stat bar on how many pitches each member of this club takes / receives before they strike out /dribble it to second / create a pop fly. I’ll be Saunders looks pretty good. He didn’t have a great season last year, but remember when Jeff (or whomever) posted those states for how long it took someone with his injury to recover? It made a lot of sense. I just don’t get it. Saunders is one of the club leaders in RBIs during the Spring and then McClendon doesn’t give him a chance to bat regularly. He may be a fourth outfielder on some other club, but he’s the best right fielder we have.