Game 34, Royals at Mariners

marc w · May 8, 2014 at 3:48 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Hisashi Iwakuma vs. Danny Duffy, 7:10pm

Danny Duffy was arguably the most heralded member of the Royals vaunted 2010 prospect class. A lefty with a plus fastball, a curve and a change, Duffy made the bigs in 2011. Since then, he’s teased Royals fans with flashes of brilliance (a 96 mph fastball will do that) and frustrated them with command problems and injuries. He’s come back from TJ surgery, but his elbow is still problematic. He had a UCL sprain in the minors, had his elbow surgery in 2012, and made another elbow-related DL trip late last year.

His FB is Paxtonesque in velocity and movement – he gets a lot of vertical ‘rise’ which means it tends to be hit in the air. He hasn’t paid for it in home runs, probably due to the elite velocity, but his arsenal does produce platoon splits. Against righties, and he faces an inordinate number of them, he’s had pretty serious control issues.

1: Saunders, CF
2: Romero, RF
3: Cano, 2B
4: Hart, DH
5: Smoak, 1B
6: Seager, 3B
7: Gillespie, LF
8: Miller, SS
9: Zunino, C
SP: Iwakuma

Speaking of Paxton, he’ll throw a bullpen session tomorrow. And Taijuan Walker will throw on Sunday.

I mentioned that the Clinton Lumberkings came back from a 12-4 deficit a week or so ago. Last night, they outdid themselves with a truly historic comeback. Down 16-1 in the fifth, Clinton rallied to tie it up. The game went to extras, and they scored three more runs and won 20-17. Their 2B earned a save in the game, reminding me of the time Scott Savastano hit a walk-off HR for Tacoma, making himself the winning pitcher. Well done, Lumberkings. They had to do it without OF Austin Wilson, who I think is nursing an injury.

Comments

106 Responses to “Game 34, Royals at Mariners”

1. bookbook on May 8th, 2014 4:12 pm

Either nursing an injury or sold to a Japanese team, since he hasn’t appeared in nearly a week.

2. ChangeinTime on May 8th, 2014 6:18 pm

I know it’s senseless, but if the season ended today, the Mariners are in the playoffs! Let’s hope they’re still in the hunt come September.

3. Westside guy on May 8th, 2014 6:20 pm

So it looks like, at least for now, Ackley is officially being platooned?

4. Paul B on May 8th, 2014 6:32 pm

Looks like he and Jones are both being platooned. Or maybe there is some other reason.

5. Paul B on May 8th, 2014 7:17 pm

And then sometimes Miller makes a really good play.

6. Longgeorge1 on May 8th, 2014 7:22 pm

Oh for the days of Omar

7. Westside guy on May 8th, 2014 7:23 pm

All balls so far.

8. Paul B on May 8th, 2014 7:29 pm

The Mariner outfield seems to me like a pile o’ players, just hoping that Lloyd can make at least 2 above replacement level fielders out of the pieces.

Well 3 hard hit fly ball outs. Least they are making contact.

9. Longgeorge1 on May 8th, 2014 7:34 pm

There are more Rainers in the outfield than Mariners

10. Paul B on May 8th, 2014 7:45 pm

Except Miller. No contact there.

11. Grayfox3d on May 8th, 2014 7:48 pm

How much longer is Brad gonna stick around? I’m pulling for the guy but the strike outs are getting out of hand.

12. Longgeorge1 on May 8th, 2014 7:56 pm

I like small ball but I don’t like the bunt with a man on second

13. Westside guy on May 8th, 2014 7:56 pm

I’m not crazy about the bunt call, but at least Saunders knows how to bunt.

14. absolutsyd on May 8th, 2014 7:56 pm

Why the fuck do you take the bat away from Saunders in the 3rd to move a guy from scoring position to scoring position???

15. Westside guy on May 8th, 2014 7:57 pm

Because that’s what guys like Wedge and McLendon do, absolutsyd.

16. Longgeorge1 on May 8th, 2014 8:00 pm

Good for CoHa

17. Longgeorge1 on May 8th, 2014 8:02 pm

We got a run but gave away an out

18. Paul B on May 8th, 2014 8:18 pm

I didn’t like the bunt their either. It isn’t like the Mariners never strand a runner on third.

19. Paul B on May 8th, 2014 8:30 pm

Kuma putting together a good start tonight. Good to see.

20. Paul B on May 8th, 2014 8:36 pm

I know they scored runs recently, but this lineup still doesn’t fill me with confidence.

21. Westside guy on May 8th, 2014 9:05 pm

I thought Lloyd once said he hated giving up outs? He seems perfectly sanguine with doing so regularly.

22. Longgeorge1 on May 8th, 2014 9:10 pm

This one wasn’t as bad as thee first bunt, later in game, moved into scoring position, and we haven’t exactly been bunching hits. If Royals get leadoff on the probably will bunt. We Will see

23. Longgeorge1 on May 8th, 2014 9:12 pm

Struck out twice is that two outs?

24. Longgeorge1 on May 8th, 2014 9:15 pm

I’d like to see Iwakuma finish this

25. Longgeorge1 on May 8th, 2014 9:18 pm

It’s 11-11 in Reno,through 41/2 maybe we could borrow one

26. juneau_fan on May 8th, 2014 9:19 pm

But then we’d miss all the fun of a Rodney save, Long.

27. Eastside Suds on May 8th, 2014 9:21 pm

Great outing by Kuma. We so need him in this rotation. Also, good to see Brad have a good AB and hit that ball hard to center. Hope he continues that

28. Longgeorge1 on May 8th, 2014 9:22 pm

I hate FUN

29. juneau_fan on May 8th, 2014 9:22 pm

I totally misheard that.

“Cano got a lot of booze in New York,” is what I heard…

30. msfanmike on May 8th, 2014 9:23 pm

So good to have Kuma back.

31. Eastside Suds on May 8th, 2014 9:26 pm

So….I waited out almost four hours on NFL network to watch Seattle trade their 1st round pick to the Vikings. Shame on them for not telling me ahead of time. Four hours I will never get back.

32. Longgeorge1 on May 8th, 2014 9:27 pm

Maybe that’s why he looks so relaxed J_F. Less than 100 pitches the automatic go to the closer I hate it

33. Longgeorge1 on May 8th, 2014 9:27 pm

I hate it more

34. juneau_fan on May 8th, 2014 9:27 pm

Are we having fun yet?

35. MrZDevotee on May 8th, 2014 9:28 pm

(sigh)

36. Eastside Suds on May 8th, 2014 9:28 pm

Really Rodney?

37. HighlightsAt11 on May 8th, 2014 9:29 pm

Rodney drives me crazy

38. MrZDevotee on May 8th, 2014 9:29 pm

Cano with a nod to the NBA playoffs by dribbling the throw to first… Uh, cute, but NOT necessary.

39. ChangeinTime on May 8th, 2014 9:29 pm

The way Iwakuma was pitching, I can not understand it. About all Rodney is good for is raising my blood pressure.

40. Longgeorge1 on May 8th, 2014 9:30 pm

Let’s hope bunting really is bad, but I like (hate) the play

41. MrZDevotee on May 8th, 2014 9:30 pm

Okay, the look on Rodney’s face is not inspiring confidence in anyone but the Royals…

42. Eastside Suds on May 8th, 2014 9:30 pm

But, but, but….he’s their million dollar closer so they have to bring him in. Right? Sheesh

43. juneau_fan on May 8th, 2014 9:31 pm

Mr. Z, that’s when it’s good to be on the radio.

44. Kazinski on May 8th, 2014 9:31 pm

I can’t wait until Iwakuma gets a couple of more starts under his belt and rounds out to his midseason form.

But we will have to be patient with him until then. He had to face 2 over the minimum in 8 (26).

It seems like Rodney faces that many every inning,

45. Westside guy on May 8th, 2014 9:32 pm

My old heart cannot take this.

46. Longgeorge1 on May 8th, 2014 9:32 pm

I really hate this even more

47. juneau_fan on May 8th, 2014 9:32 pm

But how nice, MLB is giving me a Look-in.

48. HighlightsAt11 on May 8th, 2014 9:32 pm

Will the Ms ever acquire a reliable closer?

49. MrZDevotee on May 8th, 2014 9:32 pm

Putting the round in the chamber… Spinning it a few times… Kansas City pulls the trigger first… *click!*

Now Rodney has the gun… and…

50. Eastside Suds on May 8th, 2014 9:33 pm

They have one. His name is Lord Farquhar

51. kfrei2 on May 8th, 2014 9:35 pm

I know it’s only his second outing, but at only 93 pitches couldn’t Kuma have stayed in there to finish it out?

52. Eastside Suds on May 8th, 2014 9:35 pm

Can I breathe yet?

53. MrZDevotee on May 8th, 2014 9:35 pm

*click!* *click!*

Royals turn…

54. Longgeorge1 on May 8th, 2014 9:35 pm

Tick…tick…tick…

55. HighlightsAt11 on May 8th, 2014 9:35 pm

Why is Farquhar so underutilized after showing much recent success?

56. Eastside Suds on May 8th, 2014 9:35 pm

Wow

57. MrZDevotee on May 8th, 2014 9:36 pm

BOOM!

Rodney wins…

58. jorax on May 8th, 2014 9:36 pm

So glad Miller didn’t blow another save…

59. Longgeorge1 on May 8th, 2014 9:36 pm

Meaningful baseball on May 8th phew!

60. Westside guy on May 8th, 2014 9:37 pm

I don’t know if I’m going to survive an entire season of Fernando Rodney.

61. Eastside Suds on May 8th, 2014 9:38 pm

Great to see we aren’t out of it going into mid May. Nice for a change.

62. Eastside Suds on May 8th, 2014 9:38 pm

He is a cardiac patient’s worst nightmare.

63. HighlightsAt11 on May 8th, 2014 9:39 pm

What was the final out? GameDay or ESPN not showing.

64. Eastside Suds on May 8th, 2014 9:39 pm

6-4 fielders choice

65. HighlightsAt11 on May 8th, 2014 9:42 pm

Thanks East. Brain fart, forgot about the sac.

Nice win.

66. MrZDevotee on May 8th, 2014 9:45 pm

Highlights… Grounder to SS… It was the EXACT play that Miller blew with 2 outs awhile back where he lobbed the ball to Cano at 2nd… This time, no drama…

67. leon0112 on May 8th, 2014 10:07 pm

Fan graphs currently gives Mariners a 27.9% chance of making the playoffs.

68. Kazinski on May 8th, 2014 10:52 pm

Wierd thing is that Fangraphs likes Rodney better than Farquar:

K/9 BB/9 ERA FIP xFIP
    Fernando Rodney 12.89 4.91 2.45 2.28 3.24
    Danny Farquhar 10.13 3.86 1.45 2.30 3.46

Rodney has marginally better numbers in most categories and a significant lead in heart palpitations, and that includes the 2 walks tonight but he lowered his ERA even so.

69. Breadbaker on May 9th, 2014 1:03 am

If the playoffs began today, Derek Jeter would be playing his last game in Safeco.

70. jak924 on May 9th, 2014 7:43 am

Worried about M’s lack of hitting again.

71. JasonJ on May 9th, 2014 9:39 am

You should be. Our hitting is pathetic and we don’t really have any solutions on the horizon.

Look at this and try not to throw up:

These guys aren’t quite this bad but I don’t think there is some huge correction coming.

72. MrZDevotee on May 9th, 2014 10:45 am

Yeah, our offense is atrocious… Just like the Yankees, Red Sox and Brewers, who have the same number of runs scored as us…

Oh wait, we actually have ONE MORE run than the Brewers, the team with the best record in baseball. And they’ve played one more game than us.

We suck. Nevermind that we have the 5th best run differential in the AL (y’know, how many runs we score versus how many the other guys score)…

Atrocious.

(Sarcasm anyone? *laugh* I’m actually saying this in good fun, guys… Point being, in the stats that really matter, we’re doing just fine at the moment…)

73. Westside guy on May 9th, 2014 12:08 pm

Wow, MrZ, that was looking at the world through rose-colored glasses I’d say. :-D A run differential of +6 after 34 games is nothing special, although given the past several Mariners teams it is darn good. But if that is fifth best in the AL, that says more about the weird situation the AL currently finds itself in.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m quite happy the team has a positive run differential. It is a significant step up over past seasons. But I am left to wonder what the heck is going on in the AL?!

74. JasonJ on May 9th, 2014 12:55 pm

Yeah I’m glad we’re over .500 especially considering all the pitching injuries. But our offense is not good and has been lucky to score that many runs considering it’s dead last in the AL in OPS (yes, worse than the Astros). All those other teams you mentioned have much better stats to support their runs scored.

But you know what? I can’t argue that runs are runs and I’ll take them no matter how we get them. So, I say let’s just enjoy the ride.

75. MrZDevotee on May 9th, 2014 1:43 pm

“pffffffffftttttttt”

Just fartin’ rainbows fellas…

76. Woodcutta on May 9th, 2014 6:31 pm

Trucks, trucks, and more trucks.

77. Longgeorge1 on May 9th, 2014 7:13 pm

I think we’re gonna need more than one tonight

78. Westside guy on May 9th, 2014 7:16 pm

Now it’s Seager’s turn to be sick. Ugh, and Willie wasted no time did he?

79. Longgeorge1 on May 9th, 2014 7:21 pm

Well we got the one out, don’t know if we would have got two anyway and now we are out of the inning as good as we could have. Glad to see the umps called out for another “error” maybe they won’t be such a bunch of egotistical “bleeps”.

80. juneau_fan on May 9th, 2014 7:27 pm

Vargas landed in KC? Hmmm…

81. Westside guy on May 9th, 2014 8:11 pm

Man, it’s like all the Mariners’ bats slump as a group…

82. Westside guy on May 9th, 2014 8:52 pm

I can hear all your snoring…

83. Dennisss on May 9th, 2014 8:58 pm

Hard to think of much relevant to say at this point Westside. Best I can think is that they should leave Maurer in as long as possible, save the bullpen for a day when it matters. Also, the M’s BABIP the last two days must be about .080.

84. MrZDevotee on May 9th, 2014 9:06 pm

See, what did I tell you guys… Our offense isn’t nearly as bad as you thought! Er… Uh… (sigh)

Did anyone else hear BOTH of Corey Hart’s knees buckle trying to “hustle into 2nd” there and beat the throw… POP! POP! I swear I heard something…

Ow.

Late to the game and it seems i haven’t missed much.

85. MrZDevotee on May 9th, 2014 9:07 pm

Most exciting thing I heard tonight– Big Papi broke up a No-Hitter by Yu Darvish in the 9th inning with 2 outs… Ground ball THRU the shift.

86. californiamariner on May 9th, 2014 9:10 pm

After Darvish lost a perfect game last year in the 9th with 2 outs. That is rough

87. Westside guy on May 9th, 2014 9:10 pm

Well, to be fair – Vargas is actually a pretty bad match for our lineup (from the Seattle point of view).

88. MrZDevotee on May 9th, 2014 9:12 pm

We need to stop playing the bad teams, they’re too tough for us… We can only hang in there with the really good teams.

89. Dennisss on May 9th, 2014 9:13 pm

Interesting line from Maurer: no walks, no strikeouts, 13 hits, all singles.

90. MrZDevotee on May 9th, 2014 9:13 pm

True Westy-
    Vargas is exactly the type of pitcher we tend to make look like Cy Young himself. The more slow stuff we see the uglier we tend to swing.

91. Dennisss on May 9th, 2014 9:15 pm

14 singles, and that’s the first run all night to score on a hit.

92. MrZDevotee on May 9th, 2014 9:15 pm

Dennisss
    I believe that might be the very definition of mediocre. 14 hits, all singles, and no K’s…

93. MrZDevotee on May 9th, 2014 9:17 pm

So was it just a ton of dink and doink singles? 14 hits and only 6 runs doesn’t seem that bad.

94. Dennisss on May 9th, 2014 9:19 pm

It would be really nice if a pitcher got healthy so Maurer wouldn’t have to pitch anymore. That was painful.

95. juneau_fan on May 9th, 2014 11:37 pm

I was snoring, Westy. Ended up falling asleep, as it was.

96. Westside guy on May 10th, 2014 12:31 am

That was probably the best use of your time, Juneau.

97. jak924 on May 10th, 2014 7:56 am

Will Jack Z continue to do nothing until Miller’s confidence is entirely destroyed? This is shameful negligence by a GM who is most probably out of town on job interviews.

98. miscreant on May 10th, 2014 10:10 am

wow this blog has really gone downhill. I remember when they used to have good informative pieces about baseball. Now it’s all just game threads. what a waste

99. RaoulDuke37 on May 10th, 2014 10:16 am

No offense to the guys still posting content, but it’s probably time to shut down this site. Or at least sell it off to someone that will keep it relevant.

100. jak924 on May 10th, 2014 10:17 am

You mean, keep it utterly boring. Grow up.

101. MrZDevotee on May 10th, 2014 12:35 pm

Reminds me of the funniest The Onion headline of all time: “Why Won’t These Gay Guys Stop Sucking My Dick”?

Or was that just a passive aggressive attempt at saying “more content please”?

102. RaoulDuke37 on May 10th, 2014 2:24 pm

When I found this site 9 or 10 years ago, it was fucking awesome. I had always been interested in baseball stats, but this site took it to a whole new level. And it wasn’t just a baseball analysis site, it was a Seattle Mariner analysis site.

I wish it would return to what it once was. I wish a couple people that had the initial Dave enthusiasm would take it over. I hate seeing this site in its current state.

“You know, just because you don’t care for the site in its current state doesn’t mean it needs to be shut down… You’re welcome to stop viewing it at anytime. You have our permission, if that’s what you need. Just sayin’…”

And that’s the thing. I use to check this site all the time. All day long. New Article? News? Anything? I remember when a story would break and then USSMariner would go down as everyone refreshed over and over again to see what got posted. Now I barely check in. Maybe once a day. During the offseason this site went several days without any new content, even a week at one point. I don’t want USSMariner to slowly die off. But if that’s the direction, maybe it would be best to just shut it down.

103. MrZDevotee on May 10th, 2014 2:39 pm

So what if it IS just a game thread site at this point?

Again, just because it’s not living up to your expectations doesn’t mean it needs to be shut down. It’s really easy to not tune it if it doesn’t provide you with what you need.

The game thread portion has always been a bit different than the content portion. With a different level of dialogue. Because that doesn’t matter to you, but matters to some of the rest of us, it should be shut down?

Everyone wishes the content would have continued, but everyone also recognizes as Dave became more “employed” by other entities, a lot of the content went with him because THAT’s what people are paying him for now. And we all know where to find that content, including often the game threads mention that content and provide links.

The game threads here are a lot of fun, and don’t usually attract the bonehead commenters and shallow content of say a Times game thread (other than me, that is)…

I’d be really sad if the game threads here disappeared.

So for myself, I emphatically ask that the site NOT SHUT DOWN NO MATTER HOW LAME IT HAS BECOME to people who rarely check in anymore. I still check in daily, and am happy with the site.

104. RaoulDuke37 on May 10th, 2014 3:21 pm

Dear Benevolent Rulers of the USS Mariner,

Please do not shut down this site. The thought of MrZDevotee running loose with nothing better to do is not a future any of us want to consider.

If you also feel like adding a little more content, it would be greatly appreciated, even by those of us that check in less frequently.

- Raoul

105. Westside guy on May 10th, 2014 3:50 pm

Twitter can help ameliorate the problem of having to check in regularly. Whenever Jeff, Marc, Dave, or Matthew post something here – they also post a link on their Twitter streams.

I don’t know if Jay is on Twitter though, nor Mike Snow.

Funny side note… I’m pretty sure DMZ still controls the USS Mariner Twitter feed. Every once in a blue moon there’ll suddenly be several dozen random posts, all within a tight time frame.

106. MrZDevotee on May 10th, 2014 6:03 pm

Thank you, that was a much more thoughtful approach! (rolls eyes)