Game 58, Mariners at Braves

marc w · June 3, 2014 at 4:05 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Erasmo Ramirez vs. Gavin Floyd, 4:10pm

The M’s head south to face the NL East-leading Atlanta Braves. Erasmo’s up to make this start, as we mentioned after Brandon Maurer’s demotion.

I’ve heard lots more M’s chatter recently in the national press, on local radio, and just in conversation than I’ve heard in years. Well, more POSITIVE chatter, anyway. People think the team’s decent, and could be better than decent if they can find another bat in free agency or trade. Everyone recognizes that starting pitching has been an unlikely strength. Felix is Felix, but many of us were terrified about the back of the rotation. Roenis Elias and Chris Young have been key components of the M’s success to date, and they’ve certainly helped cover for an offense that’s been a weird combination of lucky and terrible. Sure, Elias was good in spring training this year, but not as good as either Maurer or Carter Capps last year. Essentially no one saw as a steady contributor, well on his way to an above-league-average season.

But as nice a surprise the rotation’s been for Seattle, look what’s going on in Atlanta. Tonight’s starter, Gavin Floyd, is 31, and returning from TJ surgery. In his final few years on the South Side of Chicago, Floyd first underperformed his fielding-independent stats, then saw his fielding independent stats tank along with all the rest of his numbers. In particular, his platoon split problems were just too big to hide – it didn’t matter what he did to righties if lefties were approaching 2 HR/9 off of him. The Braves brought in the recuperating Floyd as well as such luminaries as Aaron Harang, and somehow, they’ve got the 5th best FIP of any rotation. Sort by ERA, of course, and they’re number 1. We talk so much about the Canos and the Choos of the market, guys who are clearly, obviously better than Chris Young and Aaron %$#ing Harang, but it’s hilarious to see this game frustrate attempts at small-sample prognostication. The M’s can use Endy Chavez at DH and get big hits from Willie Bloomquist to beat Scherzer and the Tigers. The Braves can pick up old, failed starters and watch them post brilliant peripherals along with sparkly runs allowed. This game makes no sense sometimes, and I think we’re all glad about that.

Tonight’s line-up is heavily left-handed, as it should be. Floyd’s overall numbers have improved across the board, but he’s still got platoon splits.

1: Jones, CF
2: Saunders, RF
3: Cano, 2B
4: Seager, 3B
5: Smoak, 1B
6: Ackley, LF
7: Buck, C
8: Miller, SS
9/SP: Erasmooooo

Tonight our 3rd annual draft preview posts – check it out after the game. The amateur draft kicks off this Thursday.

Comments

74 Responses to “Game 58, Mariners at Braves”

1. Westside guy on June 3rd, 2014 4:22 pm

Interesting – FanGraphs currently has Seager, Saunders, and then Cano leading the team in WAR:

Seager: 1.7 WAR
    Saunders: 1.3 WAR
    Cano: 1.1 WAR

FanGraphs doesn’t seem to like Cano’s defense so far this season.

2. Jake on June 3rd, 2014 4:23 pm

So far it looks like Maurer got the start instead.

3. Westside guy on June 3rd, 2014 4:23 pm

Oh Lordy I’d forgotten about the Tomahawk Chop. That really seems backwards and racist.

A perfect fit for Atlanta, Georgia in other words.

4. Westside guy on June 3rd, 2014 4:25 pm

We could call him Erasmaurer…

5. Sowulo on June 3rd, 2014 4:25 pm

Yeah, I wondered by the current push to change the name of the Washington Redskins but not a word about Atlanta…

6. BoomBoom on June 3rd, 2014 4:26 pm

That’s a whole lot of “I’d rather be lucky than good” for both teams, Marc. Personally, I’d rather be good and make our own luck, but since that’s not currently an option, luck is handy.

7. Sowulo on June 3rd, 2014 4:30 pm

The goal of the pitcher is to throw the ball where the catcher tells you to throw it. If you can’t do that you aren’t Major League material. You aren’t even high school material.

8. californiamariner on June 3rd, 2014 4:30 pm

I guess Erasmo wasn’t fixed.

9. Westside guy on June 3rd, 2014 4:31 pm

Well that wasn’t exactly quality fielding.

10. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 4:33 pm

Erasmo is not exactly seizing the moment, is he?

He could probably strike out Nick Franklin, though.

11. BoomBoom on June 3rd, 2014 4:33 pm

Erasmaurer, eh?

I smiled, even though the truth hurt, Westy.

12. Westside guy on June 3rd, 2014 4:35 pm

I don’t know, Mike – that might be one of those resistible force meets moveable object situations.

13. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 4:40 pm

Resistable force meets “ass falling backward toward 1B dugout while swinging” object.

14. Westside guy on June 3rd, 2014 4:42 pm

Oh – I completely forgot the pitcher would hit this game.

15. Westside guy on June 3rd, 2014 4:44 pm

Sloppy base running by Jones there, I’d think – but they did get a couple runs that inning.

16. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 4:44 pm

Nice hit – shitty baserunning and/or base coaching.
    Every game – it seems – giving away outs.

17. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 4:46 pm

At 4:44 we stated the same thing, kinda.

And that clearly means nothing.

18. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 4:49 pm

BJ Upton, really?

Fucking come on Erasmo!

19. jak924 on June 3rd, 2014 4:50 pm

Ah, does it seem like quite of few of the Mariners kids get picked off first? Do the M’s have a qualified first-base coach?

20. BoomBoom on June 3rd, 2014 4:52 pm

About 100% of the decisions made by the runners at first base are the responsibility of the runners.

21. jak924 on June 3rd, 2014 4:54 pm

So you never played?

22. Westside guy on June 3rd, 2014 4:58 pm

I hope Saunders didn’t hurt his knee there.

23. Woodcutta on June 3rd, 2014 4:58 pm

So…inning ending double play?

24. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 4:58 pm

The lineup anchor – to the rescue!

25. GP20 on June 3rd, 2014 4:59 pm

I’m calling for a Smoak pop up.

26. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 5:00 pm

I have run out of anti-superlatives for Smoak. Just is what he is.

27. Woodcutta on June 3rd, 2014 5:01 pm

Is it just me or does Smoak seem to hit a lot of pop ups?

28. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 5:02 pm

Hey, that’s a new anti-superlative.

I did it – I found one!

29. GP20 on June 3rd, 2014 5:03 pm

I’ve rooted for Smoak, I’ve defended Smoak, I even cheat in MLB the Show and change his power ratings to +90 so I can hit a lot of dingers with him. But enough is enough. Smoak has gotta go.

30. Westside guy on June 3rd, 2014 5:10 pm

According to FanGraphs Smoak has only hit 3 infield fly balls.

For fly balls in general, Seager is #1 and Smoak #2 on the team – but then Seager gets a ton of hits and has a wRC+ of 140, while Smoak has a wRC+ of 87 – so popups are a much higher percentage of his balls in play.

31. absolutsyd on June 3rd, 2014 5:11 pm

>Popups usually mean you are a tick behind the pitch. Smoak does pretty much everything slow, except for when it comes to making outs.

Don’t popups result in being under the pitch a little? Being a little late to swing should result in a foul away from you.

32. GP20 on June 3rd, 2014 5:12 pm

Would be funny if Floyd gets a hit here.

33. Woodcutta on June 3rd, 2014 5:16 pm

I usually hit popups b/c I drop my shoulder.

34. GP20 on June 3rd, 2014 5:22 pm

Is it just me? Or does the umpire actually seem pretty decent at calling balls and strikes?

35. absolutsyd on June 3rd, 2014 5:23 pm

That has to be the single greatest pinch hit decision of all time!

36. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 5:23 pm

Woooo!

37. GP20 on June 3rd, 2014 5:24 pm

Romero – I think we’ll forgive you for the last 2 pinch-hit double-plays you hit into.

38. Sowulo on June 3rd, 2014 5:25 pm

Yay! Back in it and Erasmo is gone–we hit the daily double!

39. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 5:27 pm

Tony Gwynn and Ted Williams discussed popups – several years ago – and both concluded it was because they were “late”. I am not going to argue with them

Plus, when you consider swing path whereby bat starts high – and then finishes high, being “on time” would result in hitting balls squarely. Popping up would likely mean being a bit behind. Dropping shoulder is another matter – but yes … It can lead to popups, too. Smoak didn’t drop his shoulder on his popup. He was “late.”

Google the Gwynn – Williams discussion. I am sure it exists online somewhere.

40. Westside guy on June 3rd, 2014 5:28 pm

I didn’t know Romero was capable of hitting a homer!

41. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 5:43 pm

Westy – want an informal “assignment?”

See if you can link the Gwynn-Williams recorded discussion. They spoke on camera together more than once, so I have no idea of the specific date whereby they discussed what they believed being “late” on a pitch, meant.

Thanking you kindly in advance.

42. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 5:46 pm

Thank you mike blowers … Thank you for breaking down Smoaks last AB

Kudos!

43. Westside guy on June 3rd, 2014 5:46 pm

I’ll do my best, Mike. No promises though!

44. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 5:53 pm

Or, link blowers audio comments from five minute ago. He said the same thing. That should probably be an easy thing to do, right!???!

Just kidding, buddy. Don’t worry about it one way or the other.

45. GP20 on June 3rd, 2014 6:00 pm

Buck is worth 2 bucks tonight!

46. absolutsyd on June 3rd, 2014 6:02 pm

msfanmike – Thanks! I am by no means an expert on how to hit, so I will definitely be taking their word for it. Makes sense with the whole start your swing low, finish high thing.

47. Woodcutta on June 3rd, 2014 6:13 pm

Why swing at that pitch Cano?

48. californiamariner on June 3rd, 2014 6:24 pm

It doesn’t sound good for Walker tonight. He’s reportedly throwing 90-92 and not pitching well.

49. mksh21 on June 3rd, 2014 6:25 pm

Ugh ran home to see if I could catch the game on TBS and Big Bang Theory reruns on instead :(

50. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 6:30 pm

Launching pad!!!!!!!

51. Woodcutta on June 3rd, 2014 6:31 pm

Zunino who?

52. Sports on a Shtick on June 3rd, 2014 6:32 pm

That was a Country Strong Funk Blast by Buck.

53. californiamariner on June 3rd, 2014 6:32 pm

Oh my goodness, John Buck, are you serious? What is he doing tonight!

Sims said right before the pitch that he’s looking for his first home run too haha

54. HighlightsAt11 on June 3rd, 2014 6:33 pm

Buck Baby!

Smoak wants to be a Rainier.

55. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 6:35 pm

Start high – finish high, Syd. That’s what I think you meant.

“Lower” in the middle.

And that’s why it’s hard to be good at hitting a baseball. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Fractions of an inch, matter.

ESPN does a swing track thing that shows it a lot better than I can describe it.

56. californiamariner on June 3rd, 2014 6:35 pm

I wasn’t really on the Kendrys Morales train all season but with no DH and Smoak being Smoak I’m starting to want it to happen.

57. HighlightsAt11 on June 3rd, 2014 6:41 pm

Californiamariner – Same here. The M’s are in the thick of things the start of June, so time to spend the cash. Hope it doesn’t backfire on the M’s in the long run.

58. HighlightsAt11 on June 3rd, 2014 6:42 pm

I wish fans would begin to appreciate Leone more.

59. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 6:44 pm

Watching pitchers hit all the time would be a drag, but for days like this – with bad starting pitcher outcomes – seeing the myriad of changes is interesting and fun. I like the NL game – especially in these little inter league bursts of candy coated fun.

60. californiamariner on June 3rd, 2014 6:44 pm

Yeah, Kendrys is what he is. A good hitter. He doesn’t do anything on defense but the hitting is precisely what is needed. I don’t see it backfiring in the long run because there’s no way it would require any kind of big commitment in terms of years.

61. The_Waco_Kid on June 3rd, 2014 6:59 pm

I’d totally gamble on Morales on a Drew-type pro-rated deal, but at this point, he’ll wait a couple days for the draft, then some desperate team will offer him multiple years, which is a bad gamble. So I don’t see us having a chance at Morales.

62. HighlightsAt11 on June 3rd, 2014 7:05 pm

So how long does Erasmo have to stay with the M’s before he can be optioned or DFA? If someone comes off the DL list then I assume the M’s can option Erasmo back to Tacoma quickly…I hope.

63. HighlightsAt11 on June 3rd, 2014 7:08 pm

If Smoak was a cat, his nine lives would be way over.

64. HighlightsAt11 on June 3rd, 2014 7:13 pm

I should reword that…If Smoak was a cat, his nine lives with the Mariners would be way over.

65. californiamariner on June 3rd, 2014 7:13 pm

With an off day after the Braves series, maybe they can just skip Erasmo’s spot in the rotation the next time through.

66. HighlightsAt11 on June 3rd, 2014 7:15 pm

Time to fire up the Rodney rollercoaster. Never a serene drive in the country.

67. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 7:18 pm

There is no minimum amount of time that Erasmo has to spend on the active roster. The time “limit” applies to when guys are sent down … They can only return in advance of the time limit expiration if there is an injury related situation. Not sure if the time limit is 10 or 15 days. Someone will know that answer.

I doubt the mariners will send Erasmo down anytime soon’ish – as they have very few options. The team has just got bring the “thump” when either he or Maurer throw. Erasmo has been a big disappointment the past two seasons.

68. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 7:19 pm

If Smoak were a cat, we wouldn’t be having this problem.

69. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 7:19 pm

70. G-Man on June 3rd, 2014 7:20 pm

I don’t believe it. Won 7-5 after being down 4-0. Or was it 5-0?

Even an easy save by Rodney.

71. californiamariner on June 3rd, 2014 7:23 pm

Iwakuma takes the mound tomorrow for a team that is 2 games over .500 in June. IN JUNE!

72. HighlightsAt11 on June 3rd, 2014 7:24 pm

Unexpected win. Nice job bullpen and catcher! And Romero and Miller too. Bottom of the lineup significant in getting it done tonight.

So who will be pitching against the Yanks?

73. msfanmike on June 3rd, 2014 7:30 pm

Yanks? Do you mean Rays? 4 game series starts on Friday against the Rays.

74. HighlightsAt11 on June 3rd, 2014 10:00 pm

I presume the regular rotation (Young/Elias/King/Kuma) will be pitching against the Rays, each starter with at least the normal number of days off in between starts.

But who will be pitching against the Yankees the first game? Erasmo?