Game 77, Red Sox at Mariners

Jay Yencich · June 23, 2014 at 3:35 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Felix Hernandez vs. John Lackey, 7:10 pm

Happy Felix Day? Like last time out, we want an easy win and end up with a pitcher’s duel. John Lackey has accumulated 2.7 WAR so far this year according to Fangraphs. Among his high marks in WAR since 2008, you have 3.9, 3.5, and 3.2 last year. The odds seem reasonable that this year he’ll live up to being the guy the Red Sox thought they were getting when they signed him away from the Angels. Strangely, the stats aren’t too far off from what he’s been throughout his career. His strikeout rate isn’t much higher, it’s just that his walks and home runs have been a little bit lower than they have been in other years recently. Pitch counters tell us that he’s throwing the fastball more than any year since 2003 and that he’s phased the curve and change out. He doesn’t show much in the way of splits, but are we playing the lefty lineup again? Yes. Yes we are.

RF Endy Chavez
CF James Jones
2B Robinson Cano
3B Kyle Seager
1B Logan Morrison
C Mike Zunino
LF Dustin Ackley
SS Rad Miller
DH Willie Bloomquist

Boom Boom accounted for much of our hitter WPA yesterday. I don’t like it but it is what it is. The Mariners victory helped push them to 40 wins and they presently have the 3rd-best run differential in the AL. And the AL West. Do not look at the Oakland A’s run differential unless you are fully prepared to be depressed and confused.

Minor league news? D.J. Peterson and Dylan Unsworth were both Cal League Players of the Week. Alex Jackson has also officially signed. That was your minor league news.

Go ‘Ners. Do baseball.

Comments

96 Responses to “Game 77, Red Sox at Mariners”

1. the tourist on June 23rd, 2014 3:43 pm

That lineup. Ugh.

2. rowlandice on June 23rd, 2014 3:57 pm

Come back soon Condor. I can’t take much more of Endy Chavez at the top of the order.

3. stevemotivateir on June 23rd, 2014 4:07 pm

It amazes me how many sub .300 OBP guys this team can throw out there. Injuries have obviously been a factor, but still.

4. BoomBoom on June 23rd, 2014 4:11 pm

“Rad” Miller at SS. Is this a new nick name in tribute to Miller’s uptick in offensive production? I prefer that idea to a typo, I think.

5. Jay Yencich on June 23rd, 2014 4:15 pm

Ctrl + F to see how many days in a row I’ve been doing it.

Now, if his offensive production starts to go back to April levels, watch me start calling him “Bad Miller.” I can’t lose.

6. BoomBoom on June 23rd, 2014 4:25 pm

Apparently, my calling is not in the copy editing field, Jay. I like the Rad. I really hope he makes it stick.

7. casey on June 23rd, 2014 4:43 pm

the lineups are terrible … but half full version is we swept the Royals and have King Felix to start the first game after the road trip. We just need Maury Wills and could be 60′s Dodgers (wait a minute we had Maury Wills in the 80′s!)

8. casey on June 23rd, 2014 4:45 pm

Shannon is reporting Alex Jackson is in the house tonight – he may be needed in right field before the night is out!

9. Westside guy on June 23rd, 2014 5:29 pm

When Saunders is back, I will not be surprised to see Endy continuing to hit lead off.

Thanks to Lloyd’s Magic Pencil™.

10. casey on June 23rd, 2014 5:41 pm

yep Lloyd will tell us its about winning games and Endy is a winner as a leadoff hitter. He adds speed, can bunt, plays a good rightfield and his OPS is up there at 540 which is perfect for a slappy speedy leadoff hitter – no illusions about hitting for any power. And takes pressure off Jones. Saunders can go back to being a 4th outfielder playing 2-3 times and week and where we won’t hurt himself.

11. HighlightsAt11 on June 23rd, 2014 6:47 pm

For now on Jay, I will read your preview before the game. But will avoid the comment section until the game initiates. Today’s pre-game comments are just depressing, especially after a 3-game sweep of KC.

12. juneau_fan on June 23rd, 2014 7:13 pm

And we’re off and running…

13. californiamariner on June 23rd, 2014 7:16 pm

That’s frustrating. Both hits were far from well hit balls.

14. the tourist on June 23rd, 2014 7:18 pm

Well that could be the game based on the Mariners and their hitting at home and recent Felix games!

15. californiamariner on June 23rd, 2014 7:19 pm

And Ortiz and Pedroia were probably both out if the defense wasn’t shifted. That’s annoying! But, it’s going to happen. Doesn’t mean shifts are bad.

16. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 7:22 pm

Yeah, what’s with all the Nancy-Naysayers today? 40 wins is way above where I expected to be right now. Late in June, above .500 and riding the top of the wildcard playoff picture?

I don’t think any of us here would have a better record as the manager of this team. There’s no denying some of Lloyd’s decisions have been bizarre, just like there’s no denying some of them have worked out nicely, wrong as they were.

I like plus-.500 baseball heading into July.

These kids are playing their asses off, whether you’d want to own their bubblegum cards or not. I just find it difficult to complain when a crappy lineup is routinely throwing up “W”s…

17. Shoeless Jose on June 23rd, 2014 7:24 pm

I must have missed it at the time — can anybody explain why Douglas Anthony Peterson goes by “DJ”? Is it Douglas Jr or something? Anyway, nevermind that, why would somebody willingly miss out on the chance for a rockin’ monogram like DAP? Because — stay with me now — if he’s good in the majors (please be good, please be good, please be good) then… do you remember that ad that used to run during M’s broadcasts that went “TAP… TAP Plastic!”? So how about “DAP… DAP-tastic!”

These are the things you think about when your team is bobbing around .500 and the King isn’t have his best night. Well, they’re the kind of things I think about, anyway.

18. californiamariner on June 23rd, 2014 7:24 pm

MrZ, I agree that 4 games over .500 is great and unexpected. It is enjoyable to still be in the thick of the wild card race with the season almost halfway over. I think people are just not willing to buy in to the idea that it will last. The offense has just been so pathetic that it has been frustrating to watch at times.

19. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 7:29 pm

Cali-
    I’m not thrilled about the lineup either, by far, but with the injuries (Walker, Paxton, Hart, Morrison, Smoak, etc.) I have to tip my cap to the guys out there on the field. NO ONE expected this, given the circumstances.

But I do admit, I’m prone to farting rainbows… (laugh) *tip o’ the cap to MsFanMike on that one*

In the good news department, there are various reports that the M’s are the most aggressive team in the trade market at the moment, both for bats and pitchers.

20. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 7:35 pm

SoDo LoMo!

Nice stroke on that…

21. msfanmike on June 23rd, 2014 7:42 pm

As I was reading my way down through the thread, I was going to pop off with an “I smell rainbows” comment, but you stole my thunder, Z.

You stole it.

And welcome back. We need an air freshener now and then.

22. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 7:45 pm

I’ve been working too much… So if they start losing when I’m watching, people came blame me, and tell me to stop watching again. (fingers crossed)

23. msfanmike on June 23rd, 2014 7:51 pm

That was a great play by Drew. Fantastic play.

What an A-hole.

24. stevemotivateir on June 23rd, 2014 7:52 pm

Backing up to the bit on nicknames, I still think Bradass Miller is the only real choice. I refuse to succumb to Jay’s insistence on Rad. Use of 1980′s slang can result in 1980′s Mariner results.

Thank God he hasn’t seen the threads, or we’d be bitching about the jinx.

25. msfanmike on June 23rd, 2014 7:55 pm

That sucked.

So did the “jump.”

26. californiamariner on June 23rd, 2014 7:56 pm

That was a pathetic attempt from Ackley to rob that. He got about 3 inches off the ground.

27. msfanmike on June 23rd, 2014 8:00 pm

Rad makes sense when he’s hot and “bad” made sense for two entire months.

Jay is going to winsies this one, I’m afraid.

28. stevemotivateir on June 23rd, 2014 8:00 pm

It was the bone spurs. They anchored him into the ground.

29. stevemotivateir on June 23rd, 2014 8:02 pm

Cano is actually a good hitter.

No, really.

30. msfanmike on June 23rd, 2014 8:02 pm

The wall “bit” Ackley before he jumped, but he was just back there. He just needs to get better. At everything.

Seager – rainbows!!!!

31. msfanmike on June 23rd, 2014 8:03 pm

Got lucky the ball was cut off. Cano looked like he might have been gunned out.

32. msfanmike on June 23rd, 2014 8:05 pm

Bone spurs, huh? I thought he might have tripped over that hideous fucking excuse for a beard.

Hey, LoMo did another thing.

33. msfanmike on June 23rd, 2014 8:07 pm

A walk? For Zunino.

Wow

Rare.

34. stevemotivateir on June 23rd, 2014 8:07 pm

Yep, he said the spurs were back in an interview. I suppose they could get stuck in that beard just as easily.

35. californiamariner on June 23rd, 2014 8:08 pm

Zunino walk? What?

36. msfanmike on June 23rd, 2014 8:15 pm

Looked like an Ackley 2011 AB. Good job Dustin.

Please shave that mess, now.

37. californiamariner on June 23rd, 2014 8:17 pm

Crazy at bat from Ackley. Would’ve liked a hit, but I’ll take the run.

38. msfanmike on June 23rd, 2014 8:20 pm

Miller and Zunino both walked in the same inning. Has that ever happened before?

39. californiamariner on June 23rd, 2014 8:21 pm

Mike, I’m going to say no.

40. msfanmike on June 23rd, 2014 8:21 pm

Endy!!!

Hahahahahahaha!!!

41. californiamariner on June 23rd, 2014 8:22 pm

Endy!! Wow, can’t believe this inning. Hahaha

42. nvn8vbryce on June 23rd, 2014 8:23 pm

I’d say that Lackey’s game, was well, a little lacking, and that’s the way we like it!

43. okinawadave on June 23rd, 2014 8:23 pm

Felix has just got his month’s quota of run support.

44. californiamariner on June 23rd, 2014 8:24 pm

Okay Felix, if you lose tonight it’s all on you. Mariners have done this a few times for Felix this year. It seems like they either score 0-1 or score way more than necessary haha.

45. Eastside Suds on June 23rd, 2014 8:28 pm

Highlight of that inning was Dustin’s AB. He wore out Lackey and got him out of the game. Great inning. Go M’s!…..and…Felix, you have your runs!!!

46. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 8:31 pm

See, I go to do bedtime with my kids and the runs start raining down… Missed all six of those.

Go M’s!

47. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 8:37 pm

If a 5 run lead holds up, we’re tied with the Angels (who are off tonight) for 2nd best run differential in the AL, at +42.

48. HighlightsAt11 on June 23rd, 2014 8:37 pm

MrZ, Me too. Rain came out of nowhere so had to quickly move stuff inside and missed the entire huge bottom of the 4th. Assume the most runs M’s have scored in a single inning this season?

49. nvn8vbryce on June 23rd, 2014 8:42 pm

Make that a six-pack of runs…

50. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 8:42 pm

We currently HAVE the 2nd best run differential in the AL… Nice AB LoMo.

Tied for 3rd best in all of baseball, with Washington. (Oakland and San Fran are the only two ahead of us)

51. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 8:45 pm

Okay Highlights-
    If Boston catches up somehow, we have to make ourselves scarce again! (laugh)

52. HighlightsAt11 on June 23rd, 2014 8:52 pm

Mr Z- the King will not fail us!

53. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 8:53 pm

Can’t help but wonder how much of our pitching success is influenced by Zunino behind the plate?

Compared to the 3 or 4 guys prior to him, it has to be nice for the pitchers. I’ve noticed Felix and Kuma BOTH throwing balls in the dirt with a guy on 3rd way more often… And I freakin’ LOVE the way he frames pitches.

The bat has lots of time to come around, but considering no one really expects much from catchers these days as hitters, he’ll do just fine for now.

54. HighlightsAt11 on June 23rd, 2014 8:55 pm

Those run differential numbers are crazy. M’s pitching/defense/luck must be pretty good.

55. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 9:00 pm

And as much as we (me included) love to bemoan awful decisions by our front office, let’s here it for the ONE mega contract of recent years, by any team, regarding free agent fielders, that hasn’t been a questionable call–

Mr. Robinson Cano.

There’s a whole BUNCH of teams out there not getting good return for their blockbuster deals, but knock on wood, Cano has been a joy to watch play baseball.

The man really DOES make the game look easy.

56. stevemotivateir on June 23rd, 2014 9:03 pm

Well, the entertainment factor of Ibanez and Morse in the outfield is missing. I’m sure that’s influenced the run differential some.

57. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 9:03 pm

They just showed a kid who looked about 10 years old who was at his FIRST Mariners game…

I’m not sure whether that means his parents are awful for neglecting him like that, or they deserve a medal for protecting him the past decade? *laugh*

58. Eastside Suds on June 23rd, 2014 9:04 pm

So…all those WFB haters…he’s now hitting mid .280′s. Has been VERY serviceable. Allowed Brad to get his head straight. I think he’s been a blessing like Chavez has been. Obviously would like Saunders back and the GOOD Smoak, but those guys have been solid replacements. Hard to argue that.

59. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 9:09 pm

Okay Eastside…
    I was trying to ease some rainbows into the overall picture, and you just went all neon and technicolor rainbows, in 3D, with some Pixar animation on top… (laugh)

60. Eastside Suds on June 23rd, 2014 9:10 pm

And Mr. Z….I totally agree with Cano comment. He has been superstar level and makes everything look so easy. 2nd leading hitter in Baseball, all without real protection. Simply amazing. The guys is a stud!

61. Eastside Suds on June 23rd, 2014 9:11 pm

It’s been a while since we could crow a little bit Z. A lot of pent up something. Unicorns, rainbows AND pixie dust!!

62. msfanmike on June 23rd, 2014 9:18 pm

Good little oppo wrist fling power by Jones.

63. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 9:20 pm

Currently +50 run differential on the year… We just moved into #2 in the entirety of MLB, behind the A’s…

64. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 9:22 pm

Make that +51… How funny is that, we’re #2 in MLB, and not even at the halfway point of the A’s differential…

65. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 9:23 pm

Eastside-
    I know. It’s almost creepy to see non-splashy moves in the offseason actually work out in our favor.

66. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 9:24 pm

Uh, make that +53…

This is fun. Big night for LoMo…

67. msfanmike on June 23rd, 2014 9:24 pm

Sweet!

Whatever you can do to keep Justin Smoak in AAA will be greatly appreciated, LoMo. Thank you for that glimmer of hope … Even if it may be fleeting.

68. msfanmike on June 23rd, 2014 9:25 pm

And what happened to Capuano … Bad night?

69. pgreyy on June 23rd, 2014 9:26 pm

Dave Sims, in calling LoMo’s second home run, just said “Can you say Wally Pipp?”

Enthusiasm, I’m fine with.
    Hyperbole…let’s try to keep things in check.

This is the M’s. This is Logan Morrison.

Gehrig? Please…

(Unless he meant that Logan Morrison is like Wally Pipp. I don’t know Pipp’s stat lines to know if THAT’S a fair comparison…)

70. nvn8vbryce on June 23rd, 2014 9:27 pm

I’m having a hard time deciding between LoMo and Felix for player of the game…

71. Dennisss on June 23rd, 2014 9:27 pm

The batters are making extra, extra sure this win doesn’t slip away from Felix.

72. pgreyy on June 23rd, 2014 9:29 pm

You don’t put Felix back in, though, in the bottom of the inning, do you?

Long rest, laugher of a game…

(Did I just jinx it?)

73. californiamariner on June 23rd, 2014 9:30 pm

What a game! Gonna be 5 games over .500 now.

74. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 9:31 pm

pgreyy-
    I’m not sure what it was about, but Simms was calling him Wally Pipp earlier in the game too. I missed the actual reference/reason…

75. pgreyy on June 23rd, 2014 9:32 pm

It’s got to be Smoak, I’d think, Mr. Z…

76. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 9:33 pm

Or maybe just calling LoMo the guy without a position, who should be playing more? Not sure…

77. msfanmike on June 23rd, 2014 9:35 pm

It was in reference to a potential Smoak replacement. He has said it more than once tonight. Sims may be tired of the Smoak tenure and that’s about as far as he can go with saying it.

I can go much further – and have. And it is meaningless, but intrinsically necessary.

78. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 9:35 pm

Someone start a “Montero” chant, to let him play 1B the last inning. *laugh* Really rub it in the Red Sox fans’ faces…

79. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 9:36 pm

“…meaningless, but intrinsically necessary.”

Brilliant line, Mike… And… How I view almost EVERY comment I make… *laugh*

80. Breadbaker on June 23rd, 2014 9:36 pm

Few things in baseball please me more than shutting up Red Sox fans at Safeco.

81. msfanmike on June 23rd, 2014 9:37 pm

But, Smoak is an upgrade over Montero. For whatever that means.

82. Kazinski on June 23rd, 2014 9:38 pm

I’m at at the Kings Court, a good time is being had by all. Nobody is ready to go home yet.

Morison has raised his ops from .522 to .702 this game.

83. msfanmike on June 23rd, 2014 9:38 pm

Thanks Z. It boils down the essence of anonymously posting – for sure.

84. msfanmike on June 23rd, 2014 9:40 pm

I am not yet sure what anonymously arguing with other anonymously posting posters should be called, though. There must be a term for it, somewhere.

85. HighlightsAt11 on June 23rd, 2014 9:49 pm

Breadbaker – exactly!

86. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 9:50 pm

“Anonymosity”…

Anonymous + Animosity?

87. MrZDevotee on June 23rd, 2014 9:52 pm

Might need to throw “assinine” in there too…

So- “Assanonymosity”?

88. Dennisss on June 23rd, 2014 9:58 pm

Morrison gets on base for the 5th time tonight…!

89. msfanmike on June 23rd, 2014 10:08 pm

My favorite thing about LoMo is that he is not Justin Smoak.

I am looking for some Lumosity Assanonymosity at this point.

90. californiamariner on June 23rd, 2014 11:47 pm

The Seattle Mariners have the 2nd best run differential in all of Major League Baseball. Really

91. MrZDevotee on June 24th, 2014 12:09 am

Yes, we’re #2, but I was wrong, the number is 46… I didn’t realize it was adding them in real time on the standings I was looking at, when I was adding tonights differential on top of the already correct number…

Go M’s.

92. MrZDevotee on June 24th, 2014 12:23 am

Also, Felix set a club record tonight for 8 straight starts with 7+ innings and 2 or fewer earned runs allowed.

Phenom. Period.

93. Breadbaker on June 24th, 2014 2:47 am

Part of the beauty of Felix is that he came with all that hype and he’s pretty much exceeded it.

The other part of the beauty of Felix is that, unlike the last two guys we had who played up to or above their hype, he’s ours pretty much forever.

94. Dobbs on June 24th, 2014 9:09 am

“let’s here it for the ONE mega contract of recent years, by any team, regarding free agent fielders, that hasn’t been a questionable call–”

Seriously? The organization will likely be hamstrung by it in 6-7 years and it’s unquestionable because it’s working out in the first year?

95. MrZDevotee on June 24th, 2014 10:47 am

Seriously?

Did you miss the point completely? Hamilton, Upton, Fielder, Pujols haven’t been worth their contracts from day 1.

That was my point. What the heck, do you spit on children when they’re smiling? Kick dogs when they’re licking themselves…?

I love watching Robinson Cano play. And there’s nothing to say when he’s 36 or 37 he can’t still contribute… And $24 million a year in 2021 is gonna be probably barely over league average (exaggeration, but still…).

96. Dobbs on June 25th, 2014 12:48 pm

I can’t read your mind, sorry dude.