Game 80, Indians at Mariners

Jay Yencich · June 27, 2014 at 5:06 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Chris Young vs. Trevor Bauer, 7:10 pm

One of my favorite things about Trevor Bauer was when he was drafted. Bauer was and is known for his unusual regimen (long toss) and engineered delivery that was patterned off of Lincecum. Teams knew how committed he was to it and that he was unlikely to change it for just any old reason. He was drafted by the Diamondbacks. The Diamondbacks tried to tweak his delivery. He was not happy. Sometime later, he was traded to Cleveland in three-team deal. Though there were more pieces involved, the Diamondbacks basically got back a year of a below-average reliever (Tony Sipp), a strong defensive shortstop who can only hope to have a league average wRC+ (Didi Gregorious), and a former top prospect first baseman who was subsequently waived and lost for nothing (Lars Anderson). This is at least one interesting thing about Bauer.

Another interesting thing is that Major League Baseball has been around for well over a hundred years and we still haven’t the least idea how to keep pitchers healthy. Because it’s not like they’re integral to the team or anything. Every few years some new pitcher comes along with a new thing they’re doing, a Lincecum, a Bauer, a Bundy, and sometimes they last and sometimes they don’t and sometimes we see diminishing returns as we seem to see with a lot of them. Usually they are treated with suspicion or occasionally contempt. Pitchers throw all kinds of strange ways with unusual arm angles and some stay healthy and some don’t. Sometimes a 6’1″, 180 pound guy is throwing 99 mph as a starter and others a 6’8″, 250 pound behemoth is only sitting low-90s in relief. Is this not odd to all of you, the lack of codification, the lack of guarantee?

Bauer has been better at avoiding the free pass this season, but has been giving up home runs as he has in the majors. He’s been below average overall and throws a little bit of everything.

The Condor is back in the lineup at the obvious expense of Jesus Montero. Please welcome him with quiet, respectful cawing, as is the song of his people, and reserve more enthusiastic cawing for when he actually does something positive.

DH Endy Chavez
CF James Jones
2B Robinson Cano
3B Kyle Seager
1B Logan Morrison
C Mike Zunino
RF Michael Saunders
LF Dustin Ackley
SS Rad Miller

Minor league news? Paxton threw a bullpen and his arm is still attached to his torso. Jabari Blash and Jamal Austin were suspended 50 games for drug of abuse violations (i.e., the after-school special variety, not the body building variety). Alex Jackson and Gareth Morgan both debuted last night, with Jackson going 2-for-4 with a triple, two runs, two RBI, a walk and two Ks, and Morgan going 1-for-3 with a run, three RBI, two walks and two Ks. Daydream if you must.

Comments

60 Responses to “Game 80, Indians at Mariners”

1. Longgeorge1 on June 27th, 2014 5:38 pm

When the green grocer sets up shop across the street from Cheney next month, we might see a bit of this from our beloved Rainers.

2. Eastside Suds on June 27th, 2014 5:48 pm

Interesting about the Marijuana issue in a state where it is legal. And yes, I know the minor leaguers aren’t allowed to chew smokeless in the dugout either, but they aren’t tested for it. Wouldn’t be surprised to see this rule tweaked in the not so distant future as more states allow the ganga.

3. msfanmike on June 27th, 2014 6:21 pm

Well that’s stupid. Start knocking on the door to the big leagues (Blash) and get busted for using weed. You supreme dumbass.

Jamal Austin – almost certainly was not in WA anytime recently, so he’s an even dumber dumbass.

There’s just no excuse for this type of shit because there are too many guys fighting for too few jobs – to fuck around with that stuff to the point of actually being caught.

It sure makes the weeding-out process a lot easier (pun intended) for management types – in the future, though.

4. Westside guy on June 27th, 2014 6:24 pm

I called it – Chavez is still leading off even though Condor is back…

5. Jay Yencich on June 27th, 2014 6:42 pm

That was without clear referent so I’m guessing that you mean “green” “grocer.”

Ehhhh…. I’m not a proponent of the stuff myself, and there were some opportunities with this year which may not be as present later, but the punishment seems disproportionate to the crime, as though it’s the place of sports to take a moral high ground that music, comedy, and other fields of entertainment do without. Now I’m thinking about the way we regard athletes as moral examples despite the fact that all they do is perform physical feats, representing arbitrary factions, under conditions with few if any large-scale stakes.

6. msfanmike on June 27th, 2014 6:48 pm

I agree with you Jay, but it doesn’t make him any less dumb for doing it. He knew the stakes and he knew the risks, but he couldn’t stop himself from getting caught, anyway. Sometimes that tells you all you need to know. Actually, it almost always tells you all you need to know.

7. dogkahuna on June 27th, 2014 6:49 pm

MLB needs to reevaluate and evolve its drug policies. Getting suspended for 50 games for the recreational, non-performance enhancing, harmless drug marijuana is just beyond ridiculous.

Reactionary hard-asses can refer to 20-somethings who use weed as supreme dumb-asses, but you know, it’s a pretty natural thing for intelligent young people to go out and experience the world, including trying altered states.

The draconian response of a 1/3 season suspension must be reserved for players using drugs to cheat, not players who are just trying to feel good.

8. Westside guy on June 27th, 2014 6:56 pm

Isn’t “intelligent young person” an oxymoron? :-D

I kid, I kid… now if you don’t mind, kindly vacate my lawn.

9. HighlightsAt11 on June 27th, 2014 6:56 pm

dogkahuna… “hear hear”, or in long form, “hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!”

10. HighlightsAt11 on June 27th, 2014 6:59 pm

Waiting for the obligatory pre-game dissent regarding the lineup to begin. Who is first?

11. Jay Yencich on June 27th, 2014 6:59 pm

One of the last remarks I’m going to have on this is that there is a double-standard insofar as MLB players are not tested for recreational drugs whereas MiLB players are routinely.

I’m also disinclined towards the blanket “he knew the consequences and therefore is dumb and of low moral character” because boy have I done some dumb shit over the course of my life and ultimately the fact that he did something, most likely, affects few aside from himself, neighbors (potential smell depending on drug) and whoever may have delivered him pizza, assuming (annoyance, delays).

The policies ought to be reevaluated. That much I’ll agree on. For the rest of y’all: CHILL. I shouldn’t need to monitor and put you in time outs like children because I can’t mention a drug suspension in passing without people getting combative and launching ad hominems.

12. djw on June 27th, 2014 7:01 pm

Look, kids will be kids, and do dumb stuff. As far as the dumb stuff young people do, this is pretty minor. I’d much rather get worked up about the stupidity and immorality of the puritanical/prohibitionist attitude behind the ridiculously punitive policy, and the rich white men not subject to privacy-violated tests who puff themselves up with it.

13. dogkahuna on June 27th, 2014 7:19 pm

Gracias Highlights! Re: lineups, I’m one of those weirdos that thinks they should be OPS-based best to worst–1-9. Best hitter gets the most ABs and so forth.

14. Paul B on June 27th, 2014 7:31 pm

I will start. I would rather see Montero as DH than Endy.

15. msfanmike on June 27th, 2014 7:35 pm

You weren’t following the context of the dumb assery comment.

16. HighlightsAt11 on June 27th, 2014 7:36 pm

Chavez gets aboard, steals a base and comes home on a single.

Whereas, Montero would likely have been out on a fielders choice.

17. Dennisss on June 27th, 2014 7:39 pm

Perhaps the Mariners learned something from last year about carrying too many guys who can’t play a position. McClendon wouldn’t even play Montero at first base.

18. HighlightsAt11 on June 27th, 2014 7:41 pm

I believe Jay didn’t want to see this thread turn into a negative name fest (e.g. hard ass and dumb ass). It is possible to discuss the subject without calling names, no matter the context.

19. Dennisss on June 27th, 2014 7:46 pm

It really has been a pleasure to watch Seager have such a great year, especially after a slow start. The Mariners did something right with that guy.

Better?

20. Westside guy on June 27th, 2014 7:47 pm

Welcome back Condor!

21. Westside guy on June 27th, 2014 7:48 pm

What the HECK is that hand thing? I’ve seen Seager do it – now they’re all doing it?!

22. Paul B on June 27th, 2014 7:49 pm

Highlights are you really saying Endy Chavez is better than replacement level dh?

23. Paul B on June 27th, 2014 7:52 pm

Sure is nice to have Saunders back. Hope he gets to play a lot.

24. Grayfox3d on June 27th, 2014 7:53 pm

Ive just about had enough of the Brad Miller hype.

25. MrZDevotee on June 27th, 2014 7:55 pm

Westy-
    I’ve been seeing that a bunch– it’s some weird new tradition, anytime a guy gets a double he pays homage to the bullpen for some reason. Offers up some strange personal salute to them. It’s pretty funny. Just about everybody on the M’s does it. Watch the next time there’s a double…

26. MrZDevotee on June 27th, 2014 7:58 pm

Hey, you guys cool it with the assanonymosity! And get off my lawn!

27. djw on June 27th, 2014 8:14 pm

Ive just about had enough of the Brad Miller hype.

He hit into a groundout. In the month of June he’s hit 311/373/514. June has been the best month for both of the Mariners best hitters, Cano and Seager, and Miller has been just as good as they have during that month. But he grounded out to 1st, so let’s give up on him. Sharp thinking, there.

28. Dennisss on June 27th, 2014 8:21 pm

There’s something brilliantly nonsensical about saluting the bullpen on a double. I love it.

29. Westside guy on June 27th, 2014 8:34 pm

Condor hasn’t missed a beat.

30. Westside guy on June 27th, 2014 8:39 pm

Yeah, Rad!

31. MrZDevotee on June 27th, 2014 8:43 pm

I’m starting to dig the Rad Miller hype!

32. WTF_Ms on June 27th, 2014 8:57 pm

Salute to the Pen!

33. leon0112 on June 27th, 2014 9:01 pm

This game is going to come down to the bullpens.

34. bookbook on June 27th, 2014 9:08 pm

+It’s not an intelligent thing if it can break your career with a bunch of other guys lined up behind you to take your job.
    You weren’t following the context of the dumb assery comment.+

My young friends who smoked pot in the eighties and nineties risked ten years of prison to do so. And, yeah, they were lucky enough not to get caught. And yeah they are neurobiologists and lawyers and chemists now. (literally)

Just saying… let’s not blow this all out of proportion. Jabari Blash is just as much of a prospect now as he was before getting caught. He may miss his best chance to prove it, but that’s on MLB and the union more than it’s on him.

35. G-Man on June 27th, 2014 9:24 pm

Don’t make the third out at third, Nick.

36. Jake on June 27th, 2014 9:28 pm

Hahhahahhaaaaaaaaaa Endy homered, wow, awesome.

37. Jake on June 27th, 2014 9:29 pm

Screw lead off, move him down to cleanup!

38. leon0112 on June 27th, 2014 9:29 pm

Chavez!?!

39. californiamariner on June 27th, 2014 9:29 pm

Endy!! Haha the madness continues.

40. ivan on June 27th, 2014 9:31 pm

“The idea that Chavez should be on the team for five seconds longer than necessary is beyond absurd. He’s utterly useless, and has been useless for several years.”

Except when he isn’t.

41. Kazinski on June 27th, 2014 9:36 pm

That why Lloyd is a professional manager and I’m not; it never would have occurred to me to put Endy in as the DH. I would probably sent Romero down and had Montero stay and DH until Hart is ready.

Stupid me.

42. Westside guy on June 27th, 2014 9:36 pm

Including today’s at bats, Endy has his OPS all the way up to the stratosphere… er, I mean .660.

That’s the DH and erstwhile lead off spark plug for this team, apparently.

43. Dennisss on June 27th, 2014 9:40 pm

Other than Endy, it’s probably their best line-up though. And the alternatives to Endy are Willie, Buck, Romero… Put Hart back in there at DH and it’s not too bad.

44. HighlightsAt11 on June 27th, 2014 9:48 pm

Never a dull moment…except when it is dull.

45. HighlightsAt11 on June 27th, 2014 9:51 pm

Furby gets out of the jam.

46. MrZDevotee on June 27th, 2014 9:52 pm

Never ceases to amaze me when I stop watching, miraculous things happen… Tonight I do bedtime with the kids and come back and Endy has hit a HOMERUN?

Endy!?

(rubbing my eyes)
    ENDY!?!

Go M’s!

47. Dennisss on June 27th, 2014 10:00 pm

This one’s totally in the bag, because Rodney! Lookout Landing convinced me to believe!

48. Westside guy on June 27th, 2014 10:11 pm

Hahahahaha, Denisss!

49. Dennisss on June 27th, 2014 10:14 pm

You just gotta believe, Westside.

50. juneau_fan on June 27th, 2014 10:15 pm

I’m seeing the future…And it’s the WC game…And it comes down to Rodney in the 9th…

51. Dennisss on June 27th, 2014 10:17 pm

In. The. Bag.

52. G-Man on June 27th, 2014 10:18 pm

I love this Morrison-Rodney arrow deal.

53. Woodcutta on June 27th, 2014 10:48 pm

@bookbook,

There is a huge difference between the average person who decides to smoke pot and a major/minor league ball player. The baseball player knows they are going to get tested on a regular basis. The chances they get caught are very high.

54. bookbook on June 27th, 2014 11:05 pm

@Woodcutta,

Sure. But #1 the consequences are much less than we faced decades ago (a 50 game suspension isn’t jail, or anything close to it).

And #2 as you might suspect, future chemists and lawyers are even more future thinking and strategic about future consequences than professional athletes. – if you want to say most major league players aren’t as intelligent as a Ph.D. chemist, that wouldn’t shock anyone. These players aren’t dumb.

(#3: Heck, if my school is any guide, athletes are used to getting away with any and everything–no matter what the rules may be. It’s not surprising they internalize, at a subconscious level, that they won’t suffer consequences for breaking rules.)

55. LongDistance on June 27th, 2014 11:30 pm

Deniss, this pearl:

“… because Rodney! Lookout Landing convinced me to believe!”

It’s so fun. We have a club that, outside of one whacking huge piece and some tweaks, is Mariners-2013 2.0. And they’re playing baseball. And they’ve got a chance. They seem to have refound that long misplaced ability to create their own luck, bad or good. Rather than just getting spanked.

Although my legal drug of choice is a single malt on the rocks, I can see having a celebratory joint.

Go M’s!

56. Kazinski on June 28th, 2014 12:44 am

Dave’s got a great article up at Fangraphs Expected Run Differentials 2.0. The surprising thing is that according to his chart the Mariners record is exactly what you would expect it to be. That was a little unexpected for me because the last time I checked they had been outperforming their numbers.

According to the M’s run differential they’d be the second best team in baseball, but not even the most rabid M’s fan is going to believe that. But its kind of nice to know by how they are actually performing the expected standings and expected rest of year standings have them squeaking by the O’s for the last wild card spot.

The A’s and the Angels are the best 2 teams in baseball though, so I don’t think we can expect more than that.

Hell, I’ll settle for a wild card spot, and roll the dice with a one game playoff with Felix on the mound, cause its been a while.

57. msfanmike on June 28th, 2014 7:44 am

Thank you for recognizing the context, Woodcutta.

I mean its pot – it’s not the crime of the century. The stupidity is knowing you will be tested (these minor league guys are tested all the time). All the time.

A buddy of mine has a son in the Reds organization (Pensacola) and they are pissing in cups routinely but never as part of any routine. Multiple times per month on demand. Never during a game, though.

To get so close to your ultimate professional dream and to willingly make the decision that Blash made is just silly and yeah I think its stupid. I also think he is a dumbass for doing it in season knowing the test can happen at any time. If that makes me a hard ass – for something I think – I’m fine with it.

58. Westside guy on June 28th, 2014 12:29 pm

I agree with you, Mike – but I also have vague recollections of being in my early 20s. Guys in their early 20s do stupid stuff and rarely think about the consequences – there’s even some evidence the parts of their brains that handle reasoning may not be fully functional.

I have, at times, managed young men and women in a work environment. I’ve rarely had trouble with college-age women employees; but young guys are a crapshoot.

Of course back when I was young we only had gas lamps, and got around with horse and buggies… so the passage of time may be affecting how I recollect things. I think it’s time for my nap…

59. msfanmike on June 28th, 2014 1:56 pm

Thanks Westy. I have had to deliver the “your season is now over” news to a couple of 15-16 year old basketball players – in years past (one for grades and one for violating the schools’ behavior contract that each player signs) and it’s really a pretty horrible experience for all involved. Actually, the school administrators do it, but subsequent conversations with the kids/players really aren’t too much fun. I guess the 50 year old version of me has a little different perspective than the 25 year old version of me, but not by much. When it comes down to avoidable things not being avoided, there is a certain type of finality attached to it that that is so non-sensible that it is hard to describe. Blash is on the cusp of a career pinnacle and fighting for a chance to get onto the 40 man roster. In that situation/circumstance – you just got find ways to not screw things up. You might only have one chance. Now, he is going to be subjected to 20 piss tests while sitting out for 50 games, so he will be missing out on at least two things that he seemingly enjoys. And, someone is eventually going to determine (soon) if he is worth a 40 man roster risk.

60. The_Waco_Kid on June 28th, 2014 4:10 pm

Oh no, I missed a weed debate! It’s always funny to me to hear people argue about these situations, as I am equally frustrated by the players and the leagues in these cases. Above all, I’d like to know what MiLB’s penalty is for DUI and see harsher penalties for that than for merely smoking weed.