Game 87, Mariners at White Sox

marc w · July 5, 2014 at 9:25 am · Filed Under Mariners

King Felix vs. Jose Quintana, 11:10am

Happy Felix Morning!

There’s nothing better after a night of parties, over-indulgence and explosions than watching Felix continue his run of dominance. His FIP is now below 2, driven by a remarkable walk rate and an even-more-remarkable dearth of HRs. Felix’s ground-ball tendencies have always helped him keep the ball in the park, but he’s refined his approach, and if this is evidence of a real skill, then Felix really has re-fashioned himself into a Kershaw-style uber-ace. Tony Blengino talked about this in a great post at Fangraphs last month. The gist is that while production on balls in play is much more volatile than the trusty three true outcomes, some pitchers show a clear, repeatable skill in minimizing damage on balls in play – they generate weaker contact than others. For many years, Felix was decidedly not one of them – it didn’t matter thanks to a great K rate and high grounder rates. This year, Felix is putting it all together and the results have been astonishing.

The one negative heading into today is the park. Felix has given up more HRs at US Cellular field than any other road stadium except Anaheim. He’s pitched eight games on the South Side and has given up more HRs than he has in *19* games in Arlington, or 17 in Oakland. It’s a HR-friendly place, as Roenis Elias can attest, but so’s Arlington. Felix just hasn’t fared particularly well there.

The M’s face Colombian lefty Jose Quintana, a completely uninteresting but remarkably effective starter. Originally signed by the Mets, and then released, then signed by the Yankees and released, re-signed, and re-released, he shot through the White Sox system to post a decent half-season in 2012. His K% improved markedly last year, and he’s maintained those gains this season. He too has cut his HRs-allowed, and has helped stabilize the Sox rotation behind Chris Sale. He uses a four-seam fastball at 92-93mph, along with a curve ball and change. The curve’s his best – he uses it against lefties and righties, and it’s an effective put-away pitch, and it’s helped him minimize his platoon splits.

The line-up:
1: Jones, CF
2: Bloomquist, LF
3: Cano, 2B
4: Hart, DH
5: Seager, 3B
6: Zunino, C
7: Morrison, 1B
8: Saunders, RF
9: Miller, SS
SP: King Felix

The big news of the day is the blockbuster trade between Oakland and the other Chicago team. The A’s are sending their TWO top prospects, SS Addison Russell and OF Billy McKinney, along with SP Dan Straily to the Cubs in exchange for SPs Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel. The A’s have some room at the top of the division, but they’re clearly looking to fashion themselves into a dominant playoff team. Gray/Samardzija is a formidable twosome in a short series. But the price they paid was pretty high – Russell’s easily a top-20 prospect in baseball, and McKinney was their #1 pick in the 2013 draft. This is as big a trade as we’ve seen in some time. The obvious comparison is the Wil Myers-for-James Shields swap, but this one is both bigger and features teams in very different circumstances. Neither Russell nor McKinney is as MLB-ready as Myers was, but to be blatantly obvious for a minute, there are two of them.

Starting today in the M’s system are Jimmy Gilheeney, Stephen Landazuri, and Scott DeCecco.

Comments

158 Responses to “Game 87, Mariners at White Sox”

1. terry on July 5th, 2014 9:42 am

What, no mention of Smoak?

2. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 11:12 am

“Justin Smoak is still part of the Mariners organization.”

How’s that?

3. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 11:12 am

The Angels made a splash as well, landing Thatcher. It will be interesting to see how Jack responds.

4. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 11:31 am

I think we are better off with out Hart as well.

5. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 11:51 am

It really sucks to watch Felix get out pitched by pitchers who are not even close to being as talented as him. After such a great series in Houston, everyone has forgot how to make contact. 6 strike outs in 3 innings, come on!

6. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 11:54 am

Yeah, so far it’s been the stereotypical Felix start for sure.

7. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 11:57 am

Westside, its very frustrating. Felix has got to have the most patience of any person I have ever seen. I would be the angriest pitcher ever if i was stuck in his situation with his talent.

8. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 12:00 pm

I have zero complaints with Felix’s performance so far.

9. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 12:03 pm

Please go away hart…. please

10. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 12:06 pm

His position this year?

Let’s see, he’s on a team with a legitimate shot at the postseason–and he has the most run support in baseball.

This season has been different. I get that familiar feelings will surface when we see a lack of offense, but he has had a better showing of support.

11. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 12:08 pm

Jones!! Great catch.

12. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 12:11 pm

The strike zones this year have been so horrible.

13. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 12:23 pm

Come on Rad!

14. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 12:24 pm

you jinxed him Westside!!!!lol

15. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 12:26 pm

My bad.

16. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 12:29 pm

I refuse to refer to or acknowledge Miller as “Rad”. I will continue to refer to him as Bradass Miller, but only after he gets a hit or makes a tough play. No jinxing from me!

17. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 12:29 pm

wow Willie boom boom, turning this into an adventure out there, dont scare me like that!

18. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 12:30 pm

Nice catch Willie.

19. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 12:35 pm

Hart certainly hasn’t been what Jack Z had hoped, that’s for sure.

LoMo, though, seems to have been well worth Carter Capps. He’s not setting the world on fire, but he’s at least been an upgrade over Smoak – he’s certainly earned a longer look at first base. It’s nice that he hasn’t exhibited horrid splits so far in 2014, although the number of at bats is admittedly pretty low.

20. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 12:37 pm

Willie said he was safe – that should’ve been good enough for everyone involved.

21. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 12:38 pm

I’ll never understand why the umpires don’t wait to see the players reaction before they make a decision. Players are never mistaken.

22. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 12:41 pm

Hart has about 150 AB’s. He certainly has been disappointing, but a slow start isn’t a huge surprise for a guy who missed a full season. At least he’s been good with RISP.

My only complaint with the Morrison acquisition, is that Smoak still started the season at first base. I was certain he’d be dealt before the season started.

23. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 12:44 pm

Right, but as you know being “clutch” isn’t exactly a repeatable skill. :-D

I was amazed they actually optioned Smoak to Tacoma! And happy!

24. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 12:49 pm

To be fair to Hart, it does appear he’s been significantly BABIP’ed – his numbers probably will go up a significant amount as that evens out.

25. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 12:49 pm

I think that’s a stat (RISP) that is read into much too deep more often than not, but I do think there’s some value to it.

26. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 12:55 pm

Morales has cooled off quickly in Minnesota, which should soften things for those who were screaming for him a month or so ago.

27. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 12:56 pm

Yeah, Kendrys hot start was only two or three games long, I think.

OUCH! His line is now .227/.259/.313, with a wRC+ of 50.

28. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 12:58 pm

Ha! I think it was a little longer than that. Maybe 6 or 7 games? But it was incredibly annoying to hear the whining over a small sample size.

29. msfanmike on July 5th, 2014 1:01 pm

Runs runs runs runs runs!!!

30. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 1:01 pm

Please don’t call for a bunt…

31. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 1:01 pm

Nice job Morrison! Thank you for sticking Smoak in Tacoma. Nobody else seemed capable of doing that.

32. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 1:04 pm

Well….Cano was certainly right about this team not being ready for playoff “prime time” unless we get better hitters. As excited as we get (unfoundedly in my opinion)when we beat up on hapless Houston, we are not going to beat good pitching in a short series against any good team. We need 2-3 offensive upgrades for us to be “playoff competitive”. Still fun to be relevant, but that’s all we will be until we upgrade the lineup with some better right handed hitters.

33. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 1:04 pm

nobody say nothing….no jinxes allowed!

34. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 1:05 pm

Okay, Morrison and Saunders are on again…

35. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 1:06 pm

worst bunting team in baseball.

36. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 1:08 pm

Saunders really shouldn’t be hitting eighth.

37. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 1:09 pm

That was a huge break

38. bookbook on July 5th, 2014 1:10 pm

Being a terrible bunting team isn’t much of a liability–unless your manager insists on putting on the bunt in absolutely every possible situation.

39. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 1:12 pm

Its a huge liability with this club when we have so many left handed sub-par slap hitters.

40. bookbook on July 5th, 2014 1:12 pm

The strike out with runner on third and less than two outs… that hurts.

41. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 1:12 pm

being able to put down a bunt in that situation changes this scenario, and now were going down the regular mariners road, runner in scoring position, cant score.

42. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 1:14 pm

Second time both LoMo and Condor got on base, and the team seems incapable of getting at least one of them in.

(Trying some reverse cursing on Boom Boom here)

Oh Lord, it’s Endy.

43. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 1:16 pm

the reverse curse turns into Endy pinch hitting.

44. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 1:21 pm

This is turning into another wasted effort for the best pitcher in the game…always a joy to watch.

45. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 1:22 pm

Haha, I just remembered something you all probably never saw.

Back a couple decades ago, a long-time KING-TV broadcaster named Jim Harriot switched to KIRO. They made a big deal about it, with the tag line in several commercials – “What in the world is going on, Lloyd?” (Referring to Lloyd Cooney, who was the KIRO news director and/or station manager at the time).

Anyway, when Endy went to the plate, that line – addressed to a different Lloyd – sprang to my mind.

46. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 1:23 pm

annddd, time to turn it off and go about my day.

47. G-Man on July 5th, 2014 1:27 pm

Well, that was a bad rundown.

48. Seattleguy527 on July 5th, 2014 1:27 pm

Managers are pretty much obsessed with matchups, so I don’t think any of us can be surprised Lloyd went with a lefty once they brought in a righty. And unless I’m missing someone, the only other lefty on the bench was Ackley. Personally, I’d rather have Endy up there than Ackley. Not because I think he’s a good hitter, but because I think he’s *less bad* than Ackley. The other option is leaving Willie up to face a righty, which is equally as bad, if not worse.

49. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 1:32 pm

When we stop throwing out terms like “less-bad”, this team will be so much better able to compete day in and day out with the BIG boys. Things are looking up, but we have a ways to go.

50. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 1:34 pm

I have suggested they do just that! But my cries fell on deaf ears. Instead, they just casually bunt when it makes little or no sense.

There’s no fun in that.

51. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 1:36 pm

Endy has certainly been less bad than Ackley in 2014.

I expect Endy to regress, though. And I wish I could say the same about Ackley. Bottom line is – per what Eastside said – what we really need is a decent left fielder.

52. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 1:37 pm

I’m calling it right now:

Corey Hart get’s the big….bunt.

53. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 1:39 pm

Endy has yet to hit a lefty. Ackley’s defense has certainly improved in left, but I don’t think there’s any question that the most pressing need is a left fielder. And I’m not that interested in a platoon with either of those two.

54. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 1:40 pm

That, ladies, is how you execute a reverse jinx.

You’re welcome.

55. Seattleguy527 on July 5th, 2014 1:42 pm

Believe me, Eastside, I’m right there with ya. Just for kicks I started to think of the available RH batters we have on the bench, but I got as far as John Buck and wanted to start cutting myself.

I can’t deny that Lloyd makes some, err, “interesting” moves from time to time, but he was basically given a turd of a roster and that falls completely on Jack Z.

56. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 1:43 pm

Kyle with the big hit….Im feelin it!!

57. msfanmike on July 5th, 2014 1:44 pm

Bad luck … Seager crushed it.

58. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 1:45 pm

Fortunately, this turd of a roster has included superb pitching for the most part! Pitching can cover a multitude of sins…

59. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 1:45 pm

So we have a pitcher throwing wild breaking balls facing a hitter that swings hard at virtually every breaking ball.

This should provide some comical value.

60. Seattleguy527 on July 5th, 2014 1:47 pm

Oh God, in no way was I advocating for Endy to be any kind of a long-term solution. I was only saying he’s been better against righties than Ackley, which admittedly isn’t saying a whole lot.

I agree with you, Westside. I think Endy, as well as some others, are going to start dropping off soon.

61. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 1:47 pm

Mildly successful reverse-jinx. I’ll still take some credit.

62. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 1:47 pm

Just not enough supporting cast guys to be a serious threat to A’s, Angels, Detroit, and some others. But, they are battling and Lloyd should be the Manager of the Year in the first half for getting the M’s to this point IMO. No one thought this was possible. Lets see if we can still be in the conversation at the break and then see what happens at the trade deadline.

63. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 1:48 pm

So true Westy. This staff has totally kept us afloat.

64. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 1:49 pm

Woo! Another break!

65. msfanmike on July 5th, 2014 1:49 pm

Come on Saunders – drive it!

66. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 1:49 pm

Morrison!!!

Now let’s see Saunders bunt.

67. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 1:50 pm

C’mon Condor!!!!

68. msfanmike on July 5th, 2014 1:50 pm

Sweet!!!!!

69. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 1:50 pm

CONDOR!!!!!!!

70. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 1:51 pm

There we go!!

71. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 1:51 pm

Wow

72. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 1:51 pm

Don’t worry, Seattleguy, I wasn’t trying to imply anything about your opinions. I am just really disappointed in Ackley – I’ve pretty much given up hope he’ll turn into anything useful.

And Condor comes through again!

73. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 1:52 pm

not so rad there Rad.

74. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 1:52 pm

Damnit, Brad. Bad Brad. Bad. It’s bad to tease us like that.

75. californiamariner on July 5th, 2014 1:52 pm

Wow! Tied it up! Definitely thought it was over.

76. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 1:53 pm

A month ago, he would have struck out badly or hit a come backer to the pitcher. Rad is on the Rise!!!

77. Dennisss on July 5th, 2014 1:53 pm

Wow, Felix off the hook. That was a heck of an inning.

78. Seattleguy527 on July 5th, 2014 1:54 pm

LoMo and Saunders have carried us today. 5 hits between them!

79. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 1:57 pm

CMON BRAD!!!! what is going on! 12 errors this season.

80. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 1:57 pm

Okay….I retract my Miller comment.

81. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 1:57 pm

Interesting side note – Saunders’ strikeout rate has crept back up to be more in line with his past seasons. He’s at 23.4% now.

And that wasn’t LoMo’s most shining defensive moment. Smoak is better at digging out bad throws.

82. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 1:59 pm

Westside, there should not have been a bad throw there, Brad had way to much time to make such an errant throw to first.

83. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 2:01 pm

Unlike Cano, Miller has far too little talent to throw the ball across the diamond with bad mechanics. Glove away from chest/sidearm flip from 120 feet away. He can’t do that.

84. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 2:02 pm

I agree – and I still want LoMo at first. But he’s at best adequate defensively.

I have fond memories of guys like Olerud and Segui flashing the leather at first, though. :-D

85. msfanmike on July 5th, 2014 2:02 pm

Those balls in the dirt straight on – are really hard to scoop. Easier to scoop if they are off to the side a bit. Bad throw by Miller. No excuse for it. Nice stop by Lomo’s face, though.

86. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 2:04 pm

That pitch would’ve gotten by the last half dozen Mariners catchers.

87. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 2:07 pm

Logan Morrison: The Face of Mariner First Basemen.

88. Seattleguy527 on July 5th, 2014 2:08 pm

Weird. Why not bring in Beimel to face the lefty (I know Furbush was warming, but I would have had Beimel up instead of Furbush)? That seems better than Medina against Konerko to me.

89. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 2:09 pm

Especially since Medina seems to have lost all control of his pitches.

90. Seattleguy527 on July 5th, 2014 2:10 pm

This doesn’t bode well…

And apparently I don’t know what I’m talking about. Well done, Yoervis!

91. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 2:11 pm

Whew!

92. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 2:11 pm

Miller’s little flip to 2nd base scares the crap out of me, visions of him throwing it into right field funnel through my mind.

93. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 2:11 pm

Medina was the perfect guy to pitch against Konerko. He eats up right handed hitters. He’s good guys.

94. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 2:12 pm

^Have to think about extra innings.

That ended up way out of place!

95. Seattleguy527 on July 5th, 2014 2:15 pm

I just realized my point above was irrelevant because if the the M’s had brought in a lefty the Sox would have brought in Konerko anyways. And then they would have had a L/R matchup as well.

96. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 2:16 pm

So is this not a good bunt situation, get Jones into position for Cano and the “hart” of the order?

97. Seattleguy527 on July 5th, 2014 2:19 pm

I think bunting would be bad because if you do it successfully they would just walk Cano. I’d rather see Cano get a chance to swing.

98. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 2:20 pm

Endy, that pitch was way to close to sit there with your thumb up your a** and stare at it.

99. Seattleguy527 on July 5th, 2014 2:21 pm

Ugh. Don’t let us down Hart.

100. msfanmike on July 5th, 2014 2:21 pm

Happenings we have happenings!

101. Seattleguy527 on July 5th, 2014 2:22 pm

Uh, nevermind. I forgot Ack attack was in. The point still stands.

102. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 2:22 pm

Seattleguy…. Remember the Ackley.. lol

103. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 2:23 pm

Somewhere, at some point, we are going to run into the reason the Sox are 6 games below .500.

104. msfanmike on July 5th, 2014 2:24 pm

Hit a fly ball Ackley.

105. Seattleguy527 on July 5th, 2014 2:24 pm

Really should have jumped on that 2-0 pitch Ackley. Don’t strikeout fishing, numbnuts.

106. Seattleguy527 on July 5th, 2014 2:25 pm

Shocker, Ackley strikes out.

107. msfanmike on July 5th, 2014 2:26 pm

Nice work Ackley. Down the middle FB. Super clutch.

108. martini on July 5th, 2014 2:28 pm

I’d rather see anyone other than Ackley in the lineup. Anyone.

109. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 2:28 pm

Soooooo Mariners

110. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 2:29 pm

So what are the positives to take away from this game? Only one I see is that Felix is not stuck with the Loss.

111. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 2:29 pm

Dag nabbit, Zunino. I wish you were a better hitter.

112. Seattleguy527 on July 5th, 2014 2:29 pm

In Zunino’s defense, I think he was in a state of shock actually being ahead in a count for the first time in his life.

113. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 2:30 pm

We didn’t sack up the bats and give up in th ninth. This team does have guts.

114. californiamariner on July 5th, 2014 2:30 pm

Ackley looked so bad. Damn

115. Grayfox3d on July 5th, 2014 2:32 pm

Living in Arizona, Ive had to watch this whole game listening to the Chicago announcers on WGN, I want to stab my ear drums out.

116. Seattleguy527 on July 5th, 2014 2:32 pm

I forgot Noesi is pitching tomorrow. That makes this game all the more important. If they can squeeze one out here they have a good shot at winning the series. Of course now that I say that Noesi will somehow manage to pitch a gem against us.

117. juneau_fan on July 5th, 2014 2:33 pm

I can’t get Audio to load in this coffee shop, so I’m having to follow on Gameday. Makes it even more torturous.

118. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 2:33 pm

Hey Blash is on a pot suspension, right? That means they could put him on the 40-man and call him up to replace Ackley.

119. martini on July 5th, 2014 2:41 pm

Sick catch. Bummer.

No matter how this shakes out, the rally to tie this thing up was great and Felix is a beast. I’m happy he is wearing our threads.

120. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 2:41 pm

SO close!

121. okinawadave on July 5th, 2014 2:41 pm

I feel you, Grayfox3d. I have the option of watching it with those announcers or listening to the M’s radio broadcast. I’d much rather watch, but I’m opting for radio because I can’t stand that Sox announcer. How does he still have a job?

122. Seattleguy527 on July 5th, 2014 2:42 pm

Maybe it’s just me, but it seems like Saunders pulls a lot of pitches that he should be taking the other way. Then again there are probably a lot of guys on our team who do that.

123. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 2:45 pm

I do like our chances in extras due to our superior bullpen. But…baseball.

124. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 2:55 pm

Saunders doesn’t seem to be the pull hitter he once was, except for infield grounders (which almost everyone pulls).

Here’s Saunders and Seager, side by side.

125. Seattleguy527 on July 5th, 2014 3:01 pm

Thanks for the info, Westside. Not as bad as I thought.

In other news, this is starting to feel like one of those games that could go on for about 8 hours and we just won’t be able to find a way to score again. Hopefully I’m wrong…

126. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 3:04 pm

Someone on our side needs to be the hero and get this done.

127. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 3:04 pm

Not sure Ackley catches that.

128. californiamariner on July 5th, 2014 3:08 pm

Taijuan vs Noesi should be fun tomorrow. Or extremely frustrating to lose. Probably the latter.

129. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 3:10 pm

C’mon man, this guy has a 5.50 ERA and a .284 BAA for God’s sake. And, they only have 2 pitchers left after Belisario.

130. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 3:27 pm

All right Condor!

131. msfanmike on July 5th, 2014 3:31 pm

Millers swing is looking kinda “loopy” again. Not sure he ever repeats a swing mechanic, though. He seems to be all over the place.

What do you see Eastside?

132. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 3:31 pm

C’mon Rad. Square one up for us!!!

133. juneau_fan on July 5th, 2014 3:33 pm

A score!! Sobbing with joy!!

134. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 3:33 pm

Balance, or lack thereof. Ackley struggles with it as well. The worse I’ve seen this year was Franklin. Hitting is hard enough without struggling with your eyes bouncing up and down all the time. It’s why Molitor was so good. He left very little for his hands to adjust to.

135. martini on July 5th, 2014 3:33 pm

Nice at-bat by Miller. That was gritty.

136. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 3:33 pm

Yeah! Way to go, Rad Miller!

137. msfanmike on July 5th, 2014 3:33 pm

I liked that “loop”

138. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 3:34 pm

But, Miller has come a long ways since May when he was just lost mentally and mechanically. He is listening to his hitting coach and making mechanical adjustments. Good for him.

139. msfanmike on July 5th, 2014 3:35 pm

I was thinking Ackley would be better off with zero stride. Front leg breaks down. Miller just hacks … But you are spot on – balance is awkward with Miller. Bad habit. Easy to point out. Hard to correct

Apparently.

140. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 3:37 pm

Front leg is the key to staying balanced. Miller was really breaking down on it earlier in the season. He still does on some breaking balls, which is why his swing looks “loopy”.

141. msfanmike on July 5th, 2014 3:37 pm

Ump is a little punchy after seeing 400 pitches today.

142. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 3:38 pm

Okay baby. Rodney time!!!

143. msfanmike on July 5th, 2014 3:41 pm

… And Molitor was so pure. He was an instructional video on how to hit. Same with Edgar … But Molitor was even “quieter” with his swing/lack of stride. A lot of work went into being that “pure.”

144. juneau_fan on July 5th, 2014 3:41 pm

And now Rodney…*covering eyes*

145. Seattleguy527 on July 5th, 2014 3:43 pm

Trying to bunt with 2 strikes? Uhhhh, thank you very much!

146. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 3:44 pm

WTF????

147. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 3:45 pm

Amen Mike. It was not natural. You have to work hard to be that good. And yes, he was a model of great mechanics. As was Tony Gwynn.

148. msfanmike on July 5th, 2014 3:48 pm

Waste a pitch!

149. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 3:48 pm

GREAT win for the M’s. White Sox have to be shaking their heads after having a two run lead on Felix after the 8th. BIG win for us. Now let’s take Noessi to the woodshed tomorrow!!! Go M’s!!

150. msfanmike on July 5th, 2014 3:48 pm

Phew.

Nice win.

Scorch Noesi tomorrow.

151. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 3:49 pm

Woo hoo!!!

152. californiamariner on July 5th, 2014 3:49 pm

For as much as people complain about him, Rodney is actually having a damn good season.

Nice win today!

153. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 3:52 pm

I’d say he’s 25 Saves good!!

154. Eastside Suds on July 5th, 2014 3:52 pm

I’d say he’s 25 Saves good!!

155. stevemotivateir on July 5th, 2014 3:53 pm

Both Brad-ass Miller and the Dutch came through today.

The two are linked.

156. Seattleguy527 on July 5th, 2014 3:58 pm

I’m curious to see what tomorrow’s lineup will look like considering it’s a Sunday game and today’s game was 14 innings. I guess it helps that today’s game was a day game and not a night game, though. If this were a night game tomorrow’s lineup would probably have been pretty frightening.

157. Westside guy on July 5th, 2014 4:37 pm

On the bright side – whatever tomorrow’s lineup looks like, it gets to face Hector Noesi. :-D

158. LongDistance on July 5th, 2014 11:10 pm

This game was like watching the entire season so far pass in front of my eyes. Inning by inning. If they want to go anywhere from here on, Jack has to pull a rabbit out of his hat.

Go Jack. Go Away Dustbin.