2012 Draft Thread: Second Through Fifteenth Round

Round #8: 1B Nick Halamandaris, L/L, 6’1″, 220 lbs, 1/6/1994, CA HS
Round #9: 2B Jamodrick McGruder, L/R, 5’7″, 170 lbs, 8/4/1991, Texas Tech
Round #10: RHP Grady Wood, 6’1″, 195 lbs, 5/18/1990, Western Oregon State
Round #11: 1B Kristian Brito, R/R, 6’5″, 230 lbs, 12/20/1994, Puerto Rico HS
Round #12: CF Michael Faulkner, L/L, 5’9″, 165 lbs, 12/20/1994, Arkansas State
Round #13: RHP Blake Hauser, 6’2″, 180 lbs, 4/14/1991, Virginia Commonwealth
Round #14: 2B Brock Hebert, R/R, 5’10″, 180 lbs, 5/11/1991, Southeastern Louisiana
Round #15: OF Dario Pizzano, L/R, 5’9″, 200 lbs, 4/25/1991, Columbia University

Yesterday. Yesterday was surprising! Such moves were made! Such reactions were had! But now it’s all over. The first round is over. Now we have to go on with our lives and the rest of the draft, among other things. I still have to finish a paper. The quarter schedule is soooo inconvenient. There better not be five minute gaps between rounds. I will lose it.

People were asking for names to consider in the second round. I barely know anything so I just looked up some draft boards and then started to look up information based off of what I felt interested me. This doesn’t include guys like Nick and Trey Williams (no relation) and Duane Underwood who were in first-round consideration before and dropped out due to lack of performance. You can probably find plenty of information on those guys, and there’s also a non-zero chance that the new CBA sets such players up for college careers.

Here is an incomplete list of players still available whom the Mariners may be considering/names for you to get irrationally attached to because you have heard anything about them. If I were trying to compile a complete list, I would probably die. Also, considering the sheer number of players available in the draft, if the Mariners actually selected any one of these guys, I might take up witchcraft or crystal ball reading.

SS Tanner Rahier, R/R, 6’2″, 205 lbs, 10/13/1993, California
Edit: To Reds, 78th overall

RHP/3B Carson Kelly, R/R, 6’2″, 200 lbs, 1/14/1994, Oregon
Edit: To Cardinals, 86th overall

RHP Mitch Brown, 6’2″, 210 lbs, 4/13/1994, Minnesota
Edit: To Indians, 79th overall

RHP Walker Buehler, R/R, 6’2″, 160 lbs, Kentucky
Edit: To Pirates, 436th overall

3B Rio Ruiz, L/R, 6’2″, 195 lbs, 2012
Edit: To Astros, 129th overall

Comments

55 Responses to “2012 Draft Thread: Second Through Fifteenth Round”

1. casey on June 5th, 2012 8:12 am

Jay – thanks for all the great coverage.

I don’t understand why there were nearly 30 supplemental first round picks taken before the 2nd round. I thought teams lost their first and second round picks for signing free agents – so what gets you one of these many many quality supplemental first round picks.

Seems crazy that M’s don’t get their 2nd round pick to something like #63 overall which is more like a 3rd rounder.

2. Jay Yencich on June 5th, 2012 8:41 am

That’s why they’re scaling the compensation pick thing back.

3. fdeezle on June 5th, 2012 9:18 am

Joe DeCarlo…thoughts?

4. Jay Yencich on June 5th, 2012 9:47 am

I’ll probably just do individual posts for the picks through the tenth round.

5. marc w on June 5th, 2012 10:05 am

M’s take Puerto Rican pitcher Edwin Diaz in the 3rd round.

6. marc w on June 5th, 2012 10:10 am

Diaz sounds intriguing, as a skinny HS kid who touched the upper 90s at a tournament. Reports on breaking balls sound bad, but hey, it’s not THAT far off from Taijuan Walker’s scouting report coming out of HS: Raw but intriguing.

7. JH on June 5th, 2012 10:24 am

Diaz looks like a very fun project. I’m no pitching mechanics expert, but it looks to my untrained eye like there could be a bit more velocity in that arm just by cleaning up the delivery, and a whole lot more perceived velocity if they can get him to raise the arm slot. And that’s before he starts to bulk up.

8. spankystout on June 5th, 2012 10:29 am

^I should go find some Diaz video, because the video on DeCarlo wasn’t encouraging to me.

9. Jay Yencich on June 5th, 2012 10:32 am

But DeCarlo was endorsed by Quality Americans! And a math teacher! He will be president!

10. spankystout on June 5th, 2012 10:49 am

Matt Garrioch has Pike (#147) and Diaz (#67) ranked way higher than DeCarlo (#255).

11. Westside guy on June 5th, 2012 10:57 am

Jay/Marc,

Basically I’m wondering if a guy like Kyle Seager, who’s performing well (and definitely better than expected), could theoretically bump a guy like Corey Seager up a slot or two in the draft. Obviously Corey’s already a talented, highly regarded player.

I realize the question isn’t easily quantifiable… ;-)

Thanks!

12. GLS on June 5th, 2012 11:03 am

They seem to be leaning more towards HS players this year than they have previously. That’s a little bit interesting.

13. JH on June 5th, 2012 11:03 am

After the first 20 or so, rankings become pretty much useless. Nick Franklin, Taijuan Walker, and Kyle Seager were all drafted above their consensus ranking. So was Steve Baron, which obviously hasn’t worked out well. Late risers, signability issues, and plain old disagreements between different organizations make every team’s board very, very different, and those teams’ scouting reports, filtered through third-party organizations like BA, form the basis for the “consensus lists.” Some guys make it so clear that they have no interest in signing that they don’t even get evaluated – Anthony Rendon was one such player coming out of high school. He was ignored on lists because teams didn’t send their cross-checkers to do their diligence on him.

We’re only 3 years into the McNamara era, and in Ackley and Seager his department has already produced nearly as much big-league value as Bob Fontaine’s did in 5 drafts that are nearly old enough to evaluate them fairly (Fontaine gets a slight edge because Morrow and Fister both have multiple seasons under their belts). In Walker and Franklin, they’ve also identified two top prospects who were more or less under the radar on draft day. One of those guys is now considered to have as much upside as any pitching prospect in the minors.

So yeah, ignore the rankings. These guys have earned the benefit of the doubt. They’re not infallible – we can already pretty much call Baron a bust, and I’m not overly optimistic about Marcus Littlewood either – but no scouting department is. What evidence we have, though, suggests that they’re pretty good at their jobs.

14. marc w on June 5th, 2012 11:07 am

“Do we know if teams’ perceptions of draftees is colored at all by a sibling doing well / doing better than expected in the majors?”

I think they do, given the scouting talk about “bloodlines.” Fundamentally, each pick is going to be evaluated on their own, but good bloodlines are going to be another factor, along with make-up and the like. I think Kyle probably helped out Corey, and I think Garin Cecchini may have helped Gavin yesterday too.

15. marc w on June 5th, 2012 11:10 am

Patrick Kivlehan’s somewhat intriguing too. He was a football player at Rutgers before trying baseball in his junior year. He hadn’t played since HS, but he went on to win the triple crown in the Big East conference. Older player, but obviously talented and may have more projection than you’d think given his age.

16. JH on June 5th, 2012 11:11 am

“Do we know if teams’ perceptions of draftees is colorad at all by a sibling doing well / doing better than expected in the majors?”

Two words: Michael Garciaparra. Frank Mattox (RIP) was known to place far more weight on bloodlines than others (he also drafted John Mayberry Jr. in the first round), but it’s definitely a factor that scouting types consider. My guess is that more analytically-inclined teams tell their top scouting brass to de-emphasize them, as they have no predictive value, but it’s definitely part of the discussion in evaluations.

17. spankystout on June 5th, 2012 11:20 am

I do throw most of the rankings out the window. I just found it amusing that every pick after DeCarlo was ranked higher than him, including Kivlehan.

18. Westside guy on June 5th, 2012 11:35 am

Thanks guys.

And I’d (mercifully) completely forgotten about Michael Garciaparra. Ugh.

19. spankystout on June 5th, 2012 11:37 am

Don’t forget Tuiasosopo! “BUT HIS FAMILY CAN PLAY UW FOOTBALL! DRAFT HIM DRAFT HIM!”

20. marc w on June 5th, 2012 11:37 am

M’s get a defense-first college SS from UVA.

21. marc w on June 5th, 2012 11:40 am

Let’s be fair, spankystout – Tui was a guy loads of teams liked, and the only reason he dropped was because of his strong UW commit.

At the time, it was a great pick – they gave him 1st round money and got one of the better athletes in the draft. He made the big leagues, albeit briefly, but the story is very similar to Grady Sizemore.

Tui didn’t work out, but it wasn’t a bloodlines pick.

22. marc w on June 5th, 2012 11:41 am

I should point out that Garciaparra was, pace the Tui situation, a massive reach in the 1st (supp.) round. NO ONE had him there except the M’s. I think any team would’ve taken Tui if they thought they could sign him.

23. JH on June 5th, 2012 11:42 am

Tuiasosopo didn’t deserve his signing bonus, but he wasn’t exactly a reach as a third-round pick. The Brewers were rumored to be in on him with the 7th-overall pick back in ’04, and it’s not like he was a bust from day 1 in the minors (quite the opposite actually – he absolutely destroyed AZL picthing in his debut back in ’04, causing a bit of irrational excitement). Bloodlines and local connections certainly had something to do with his selection and his nutso $2.1 million signing bonus, but I don’t exactly fault the pick,

24. JH on June 5th, 2012 11:44 am

Agreed with Marc completely. Mayberry wasn’t much of a reach either, for the record. Garciaparra was probably the worst purely bloodlines pick in recent draft history by any team.

25. spankystout on June 5th, 2012 11:46 am

Tui was that highly regarded? wow. Thanks for the correction marc.

26. marc w on June 5th, 2012 11:49 am

Yeah, he’d been on the radar since he carried his Little League team to the LLWS.

He played SS, but teams thought he had tons of power potential and if he moved to 3B it wouldn’t matter. The power just didn’t really translate from metal to wood, which happens fairly often.

27. GLS on June 5th, 2012 11:54 am

When a guy like Tui gets close, but doesn’t quite make it in the majors, I have a tough time calling that a failure of talent evaluation. From what I understand, the guy is a heck of an athlete. He’s just not quite good enough at hitting the baseball to make a career for himself.

28. GLS on June 5th, 2012 11:57 am

He’s still plugging away at Buffalo in AAA.

29. spankystout on June 5th, 2012 12:16 pm

Another SS. Can’t complain about that.

30. Duworkson on June 5th, 2012 12:22 pm

Jay, where would Zunino rank on this list?

Johnaton Mayo’s top five propects catchers

Devin Mesoraco
    Travis d’Arnaud
    Gary Sanchez
    Wilin Rosario
    Yasmani Grandal

31. casey on June 5th, 2012 12:46 pm

Interesting one was Baseball America’s Connor Glassey saying that Zunino becomes the M’s third top prospect behind Walker and Hultzen – and ahead of both Paxton and Franklin. Not a bad top 5.

32. groundzero55 on June 5th, 2012 1:04 pm

Woohoo, keeping the #7 pick in state!

33. JH on June 5th, 2012 1:06 pm

Interesting, casey. Connor knows his stuff – particularly the Ms – but I might be inclined to stick Franklin in over Zunnino, and I definitely think he’s leapfrogged Paxton this season, even though it’s still early. Top college bats have a great track record, even in down years, but Franklin’s been quietly having a pretty big breakout season in Jackson, improving in all the right areas while still hitting for plenty of pop.

I like having Zunnino in the system and I think it’s a close call (and ultimately really unimportant who should rank #3, 4, or 5), but I think I’d give the slightest edge to the guy who’s already hitting in the high minors.

34. marc w on June 5th, 2012 1:15 pm

I’m with JH. I’d have Franklin ahead based on his 2012. If Zunino comes in next year and lays waste to A+/AA, then I’ll re-evaluate, but for now I’d have Franklin above Zunino.

35. casey on June 5th, 2012 2:00 pm

wasn’t that long ago that any top 3 overall draft pick would have instantly been the M’s #1 prospect. Now wait and see and best case he is 3 or 4 – shows the nice depth the organization has. Thought Pryor was interesting call up this week … there is a lot impact talent that is going to come to Seattle in the coming 2-3 years.

36. dgood on June 5th, 2012 2:06 pm

I like the Taylor Ard pick. I wonder if he goes back to Wazzu to try to bring it up a round or two.

37. groundzero55 on June 5th, 2012 2:13 pm

a guy who knows him pretty well from WSU posted over on LL that it’s basically a given that he will forego the rest of school, and he will indeed sign with the M’s.

38. just a fan on June 5th, 2012 2:21 pm

So are any of these draft picks Slot-Ringers (i.e., 5th-year college/organizational player getting $25k bonus)? Any tough signs?

39. Jay Yencich on June 5th, 2012 2:31 pm

Halamandris and Pike are probably tough signs. Ard, Taylor, and Kivlehan could come in around slot.

40. marc w on June 5th, 2012 2:58 pm

Jamodrick McGruder is a quality name. 60-65 on the scouting scale, maybe 70. I’ve lamented the fact that it’s the Venezuelan kids who’ve been running circles around the Americans in terms of names, but this year, the US seems to have struck back.

Other potential draftees include Skye Bolt, Storm Throne, Buck Farmer, etc.

41. Jay Yencich on June 5th, 2012 3:09 pm

Those first two names sound like their parents were LARPers.

42. Rick L on June 5th, 2012 3:21 pm

Thanks for doing this for us, Jay.

43. GLS on June 5th, 2012 4:03 pm

Halamandaris is a solid name. I think I’ll use it in my forthcoming fantasy novel that I haven’t started writing yet.

44. Jay Yencich on June 5th, 2012 4:29 pm

and the Mariners draft a guy from my alma mater. Soooooo weird.

Dario Pizzano: Ivy League Player of the Year

45. Evan on June 5th, 2012 4:30 pm

A guy named Walker obviously needs to play for the Texas Rangers.

46. SonOfZavaras on June 5th, 2012 4:37 pm

Re: Dario Pizzano.

Hmmm. A 5’9″ lefty-hitting outfielder with distinctly New England roots.

With apologies, because it’s almost assuredly a lazy comp: But it sounds like Darren Bragg all over again.

How does the Pizzano family feel about hockey?

47. Jay Yencich on June 5th, 2012 4:39 pm

If he had strong [positive] feelings about hockey, he probably would have gone to Cornell.

48. JH on June 5th, 2012 5:02 pm

@casey: yeah, I don’t want to get too excited about it since three of the top guys are pitchers and a good farm can only take you so far towards contention, but this is probably the best the Mariners system has ever looked since I’ve followed it closely (about 10 years…geez that makes me feel old). Felix still stands alone as the best prospect the team’s had during that time, but the team has a very solid 1-5, with pretty good depth behind the top tier of prospects. Oddly enough, after outfield prospects, starting pitching depth is probably the system’s second biggest weakness – not a lot of live arms behind the big 3, and the ones the org. has aren’t in full-season ball yet.

49. groundzero55 on June 5th, 2012 5:05 pm

Whereas last year felt like more of a catcher and pitching-heavy draft haul for us, this year seems more infield-heavy.

50. stevemotivateir on June 5th, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks for the detailed posts on these picks, Jay! Really appreciate all the insight you (and Marc) have given. I’m kinda surprised so many infielders were selected, even if they intend to convert one or two, but I’ll go along with it!

51. neo-realist on June 5th, 2012 7:08 pm

I wish the Mariners had used their second round pick on Nick Williams. I know he is high risk/ high reward, but he would have been worth the gamble if the best scenario is Darryl Strawberry 2.0 without the booze and drugs. Also this organization is seriously thin on promising outfield bats.

52. awakeling on June 6th, 2012 12:08 am

This doesn’t mean anything because I trust Z to pick, but I think it is interesting to see how BA had ranked our picks.

Overall pick, name, BA rank

371 Michael Faulkner 393
    401 Blake Hauser 149
    431 Brock Hebert 250
    461 Dario Pizzano N/A

N/A – the ranks I found only go up to 500

53. dc24 on June 6th, 2012 2:29 am

Love to see Michael Faulkner from my alma mater go to the M’s!!!

54. neo-realist on June 6th, 2012 5:45 am

Joltin Joe DeCarlo over Nick Williams????

A fear of paying over slot for a 2nd rounder?

55. The Ancient Mariner on June 6th, 2012 6:35 am

Brock Hebert looks interesting; I thought he might be Bobby Hebert’s son, though, but he isn’t.